AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sony dual-receiver TIVO box. I am curious if instead of recording to VCR can you record programs on to a DVD-R player?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
all day long... and I assume you mean a DVD-R RECORDER (not player).... plug in the output of the Tivo to the input of the DVD-Recorder and have fun

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got my E80 a week or so ago to do the exact same thing. Works great. Takes a few seconds to edit out commercials and such. Manual isn't the best. Look at some posts in this forum and most tasks have been explained in earier to understand terms.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Just to make sure we haven't missed blind's point, you can also do timed recordings just like a VCR from a built-in OTA tuner or direct A/V. That's the problem, it is almost exactly like using a VCR, with no EPG and no one-touch recording of future entries (Unless you are lucky enough to have the Pioneer 810, which is the first DVDR with Tivo service built-in).

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would much prefer having the Panasonic HS2/E80/E100 and a

normal TiVo/DirecTivo unit than the TiVo/DVD-R combo unit. The

combo unit will not let you edit out commercials before burning

to DVD, which you can do with the Panny/Tivo setup..

My $0.02...

Don

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hearth

normal TiVo/DirecTivo unit than the TiVo/DVD-R combo unit. The

combo unit will not let you edit out commercials before burning

to DVD, which you can do with the Panny/Tivo setup..

My $0.02...

Don
Yeah, I'd have to agree. I was going to buy the Pioneer until I found out that it wouldn't edit. I went with the E-80 instead. Now I have my main TiVo control the digital cable box and route the S-vid output of the box into L1 of the Panny.

Works like a charm.

Bob

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You gotta be yankin' me! Won't edit? Then what good is it? I agree with you guys...separate components all the way.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I can see the 810 being worthwhile if it allows you to burn at faster than real-time and/or doesn't tie up the Tivo while burning.

--wilson

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
E100 and E80 both burn faster than real time (E80 is 1X and E100 is 4X)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Let me be more clear. You can't dump from the Tivo to the Panasonic faster than real-time and the Tivo is tied up during that time.

If the 810 can burn at 4X, it ties up the machine 4X less time than the separate solution. If the 810 can burn in the background then it's even better.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:

normal TiVo/DirecTivo unit than the TiVo/DVD-R combo unit.
Yea, but a DirecTiVo/DVD-R combo would be the be-all-end-all. Of course it'll NEVER happen because it would allow us to burn the DirecTV MPEG2 feed directly... but I can still dream.

It certainly does bug me knowing that the data is sitting there on my DirecTiVo in a format that could be DIRECTLY transferred to DVD-R... but instead the signal has to go through yet another decode/encode cycle before it gets to DVD-R.

But as it is now, I guess the DirecTiVo and E80 boxes are as good as it'll get...

-Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.