AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife has been recording some Teacher Material from a PBS type network. Every month or two I have to haul out the old VCR and hook it up to the TiVo to get the stuff on Tape for her classroom.

Meanwhile I have a Pioneer A05 Burner thats been getting like Zero use since last Xmas when I got it. Wanted to know what the easiest way to get the material from the TiVo onto the Computer and Burned to DVD.

I dont have a TurboNet card on the TiVo, but I'm willing to get one if that will make this process easier. (As in, if I can Rip the shows directly instead of capturing via Analog)

If thats too slow or doesnt buy me anything, then I also need a reccomendation on what Capture card to get.

She wants them on DVD so she can skip straight to specific shows, but each show has 3 topics they discuss, so if I could make each topic a chapter on the final DVD, i would get some WAF Bonus Points.

I have Nero 6 and Pinnacle InstantCD/DVD at my Disposal along with some Editing program that came with the Pioneer DVD-RW that I have hardly ever used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
 http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/

I've got a Tivo1 and the Tivo net and this software will let you extract the video.

After a while the video listed (now showing) was out of date I'm not sure why that happen, I almost never use the extraction but it was fun to test it out.

·
Registered
379 Posts
All the bells and whistles are here....

The easiest way to get started is to install the TurboNet AND drivers from the floppy or CD. Set a static IP for your lan then put the Tivo back in place and install everything else through the Telnet and ftp that the drivers installed for you.

http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network.html#_Toc43127421

·
Registered
545 Posts
This is not as clean as the methods above but it works well. If you have a DV video camera you can record to the camera using the S-Video connection then go firewire to the computer and edit and burn from there. I've done it and the quality is surprisingly good.

Of course if you can, direct extraction will offer the best quality.

Clay

·
Registered
122 Posts
You're probably better off getting a TV tuner card and recording the shows directly onto the PC in DVD compatible mpeg2. Plus you can use the tuner card to record and save other shows besides the PBS classroom shows. That would make good use of that DVD burner.

The recent TV capture cards seem to be getting better as a group. Seperate cards are cheap (~$50) and the ones made by Asus (TV FM) or MSI (TV @nywhere; no stereo TV) should be fine. If your PC isn't that fast (

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so the "Direct" Method would be:

1) Install all necessary TiVo Hacks per ElectricLegs Link

2) Use the Software Linked by Sorti to extract the Video Files to a PC.

3) Convert to MPEG using ????

4) Burn to DVD

The "DVCam" Method would be:

1) Record onto a DV Tape by using the DV Camera like a VCR, output from TiVo's RCA or SVideo Plugs.

2) Extract the DV Files to the PC using FireWire (The Program that comes with XP does this just fine)

3) Convert to MPEG using ???

4) Burn to DVD

The "CaptureCard" Method would be:

1a) Capture the Video using a Analog Capture Card

1b) Convert the Raw AVI to MPEG

OR

1) Capture using a PVR250 straight to MPEG

2) Burn to DVD

Glad to see there are so many options. If anyone has links or info on the following, please post them.

Direct - Step 3 - What Program to use to Convert the Video Fottage? tmpeg? What settings?

DVCam - Step 3 - Same Questions

Burn to DVD - Any particular Software you guys like or dislike? The authoring package that came with the Pioneer Burner has a program that will convert mpeg files into a DVD format and then allow you to burn them. Has ties to a Menu Building program of some kind as well.

I will probably do some combination of Direct and CaptureCard being that I dont have a DVCam yet, and my friend's Sony (according to him) doesnt have any Inputs, only outputs.

Thanks again and keep the advice and tips coming.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS: When you have an MPEG file on your HD, how can you tell if its MPEG2 and ready to be burned to DVD?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the same setup and just use the "Save to VCR" via a tv capture card (X-capture in my case). You use VirtualDub to extract the stream into an avi and then TMPGenc to convert to and/or cut and splice out commercials to an mpeg format for a VCD, SVCD, or DVD. There's also another product for editing DVD into chapters but I don't think I have used that yet.

I found the information and links here http://www.dvdrhelp.com/mjpeg.htm

It works quite well and doesn't require hacking your Tivo, although I do have the Turbonet board to get the updates ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help, I have one quick follow up question about the PVR 250.

While searching for good prices, I found the PVR-350 Card can be found for only $30 to $60 more than the PVR250. Is there any reason NOT to get the 350 instead? As far as Video Capture goes, I would assume they are identical???

·
Registered
466 Posts
Casper42,

I too have been wondering how to do this (however I have a Series 2 DirecTivo). I've been considering a canopus ADVC-100 box with an internal DVD burner for my HTPC. Then yesterday, I came across an ad for this wonderful device sent from the gods...

http://www.pioneerburner.com/

I figure that it's just a matter of time before they come out with a DirecTivo version? Stay tuned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very Interesting, except I already have a boatload of questions.

1) Can I get one in Black? (I Freakin hate silver components)

2) Will there be a way to edit out commercials before burning?

3) DVD Menus? Customizeable? etc.

4) Different Bit Rates or stuck with the one Pioneer Chooses?

If its not an Elite and the Dealer cost is low, I would probably buy the Unit you mentioned anyway, for the WAF. Then I dont have to deal with her Nagging.

·
Registered
466 Posts
1. Ditto here.

2. I should hope so, otherwise, what's the point!?!?

3. Same answer as above.

4. I wonder this too.

LOL about the WAF comment. :D

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I would go with the Tivo-hack method. To me, PQ is the most important thing, though I understand this is just for classroom purposes. If you go that route, you'll be set for other non-classroom related perfect captures. Also, if you don't have a digital camcorder w/firewire and don't mind spending the money, you could always get a set-top dvd burner (I've seen some pretty good deals lately), the mpeg-2 encoder in those units are pretty darn good. Just another option.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmmm - I think I'll try the Tivo hack. It sounds like it would be easier and faster in the long run plus the added benfits of the other hacks. I've already upgraded the hard drive so it really shouldn't be a big deal. The one thing I would suggest for anyone trying this is ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going 2 routes to see how they differ, and because both routes have good side effects.

I ordered a 9th Tee TurboNet Card (and a Drive bracket since my extra drive is tied down with a shoelace right now) and according to UPS it will be here next Wed.

I am also looking for the best deal on the PVR-350 Card and will buy one of those.

Side Effects:

The Turbonet will mean no more dialup for updates, and the option of the Web/Telnet/FTP interfaces.

The PVR350 means I can capture stuff directly (non TiVo) for the best SD Signal and thus PQ.

I might also (when I'm not capturing TV Stuff) hook up an X10.com Micro Camera and see what kind of Stuff (Software) I could use to do Motion Sensing Still Captures or Motion Activated Recording. I used to be able to do this with a WebCam and a peice of Software called WebCam32, but when Logitech decided to NOT offer 2000/XP drivers for my QuickCam VC USB and QuickClip USB I got discouraged and they have been sitting in a box ever since.

Thanks again for all the advice, once I get all setup you can bet I'll be back with more questions. If anyone knows of some good Authoring and Burning threads here on AVS, please post them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Casper42
Thanks for all the help, I have one quick follow up question about the PVR 250.

While searching for good prices, I found the PVR-350 Card can be found for only $30 to $60 more than the PVR250. Is there any reason NOT to get the 350 instead? As far as Video Capture goes, I would assume they are identical???
The PVR-350 adds hardware MPEG decoding for those who watch video via the PVR-350s video out jack. However, most of us watch through our video card's tv-out or vga-out jacks and use software MPEG decoding. The PVR-350 also has an FM radio tuner.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Install the TurboNet drivers from Silicondust.com and set a static ip. From there you can install and run everything over your lan.

Tystream will extract and convert directly to mpeg2. Pull the program to your harddrive then convert.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If a person used either Tystudio or Tystream to copy the video to your harddrive in mpeg-2 format, will these files contain the full dolby digital audio with the program?

thanks,

JP

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had considered the X10 stuff but my understanding is that anyone with the same software and hardware receiver can essentially see what your seeing since there is no security such as a hard wire webcam or a wireless IP camera (expensive).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by urfthewog
I had considered the X10 stuff but my understanding is that anyone with the same software and hardware receiver can essentially see what your seeing since there is no security such as a hard wire webcam or a wireless IP camera (expensive).
The 3 Cameras I have from them are not wireless. They are connected via a 50 foot Flat CAT5 type cable that contains power, video and sound and then had a little breakout box at the end opposite the camera.

The wireless ones also run in the 2.4GHz spectrum, which means they piss off your WAP if you have them set to similar channels. I have a couple of the Video Senders from X10 and tried to use them the other night to send my digital cable to my office where i have no box. My wife immediately started asking me why the wireless dropped out when I plugged in the sender.

But on the good side, think of it as Wireless EW! Got a neighbor you dont like, locked you out of his AP? Get a Wireless Sender and point it at his house. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.