AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TiVo Series4 DVRs Add HD GUI, Unified Search

By Stephen Hopkins
Premiere and Premiere XL DVRs feature HD interface built on Flash, optional QWERTY remote, Pandora and FrameChannel.


Leading up to tonight's event, TiVo touted that Inventing the DVR was just a warmup.


While that may just be PR glitz, TiVo's lack of a major hardware upgrade in nearly four years made this an event worth taking note of.


Predictions were thrown against the wall like spaghetti on an episode of Jersey Shore, so let's see what all stuck for the new DVRs that will ship in April.




Hardware

New slimmer hardware

TiVo Premiere 320GB ($299)

TiVo Premiere XL 1TB ($499)

Single CableCard slot; requires MultiStream card

Optional Bluetooth QWERTY remote

Optional USB Wireless N adapter

Software

New HD GUI with two and three column layouts and Discovery Bar

Unified search of TV, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Blockbuster, etc.

Click here for more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Series 4

Comcast with Tivo

DirectTv with Tivo

Dish Vip 922


My HDtivo died over 1 year ago. I have been without anything other than my antenna, hulu, and Netflix subscription. For the last year, ALL of these things other than series 4 has been available ANY day now. And you can't go early, because then you are locked into 2 years with the OLD equipment.


Whoever, actually really releases the new equipment, will actually really get me as a customer. For now. The over the air stuff looks pretty good on my tv. I just wish I had a decent DVR to go with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Wonder if the N wireless adapter will work on the old HDs? Kind of sorry I just bought my XL in Nov, although it was $100 cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr00vy /forum/post/18242616


Series 4

Comcast with Tivo

DirectTv with Tivo

Dish Vip 922


My HDtivo died over 1 year ago. I have been without anything other than my antenna, hulu, and Netflix subscription. For the last year, ALL of these things other than series 4 has been available ANY day now. And you can't go early, because then you are locked into 2 years with the OLD equipment.


Whoever, actually really releases the new equipment, will actually really get me as a customer. For now. The over the air stuff looks pretty good on my tv. I just wish I had a decent DVR to go with it.

Don't forget Moxi. The idea of a triple tuner with extenders around the house is enticing to me (and I have 4 Tivo S3/HDs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr00vy /forum/post/18242616


Series 4

Comcast with Tivo

DirectTv with Tivo

Dish Vip 922


My HDtivo died over 1 year ago. I have been without anything other than my antenna, hulu, and Netflix subscription. For the last year, ALL of these things other than series 4 has been available ANY day now. And you can't go early, because then you are locked into 2 years with the OLD equipment.


Whoever, actually really releases the new equipment, will actually really get me as a customer. For now. The over the air stuff looks pretty good on my tv. I just wish I had a decent DVR to go with it.

That's not true re: old equipment, don't make an assumption. Call TiVo. They can transfer an account in the event of a broken unit. In fact, they are happy to do it. Speaking from experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
You guys are missing the key feature: The screen shot shows COMCAST ON DEMAND. If in fact the Tivo can get On Demand shows from my cable provider, I am DITCHING my THREE f'ing $20/month Comcast DVRs (seriously, with taxes, it's over $60 just for the boxes). Those Motorola paperweights things are utter garbage, but my kids and wife like On Demand.


If you can access Comcast On Demand, there is ZERO reason to use a cable company DVR. Not talking about Dish or DirecTV because, like you, I live in Philly and I like the Phillies. Sats don't have Comcast SportsNet. And no, FIOS is not in my neighborhood.


I've had Tivos since 2001. Never had a problem except for once, but it was a kid trying to hook a video game up, disconnected the TiVo, and dropped it on a hardwood floor. Died. Bought a replacement (it was a series 1 I'd had for years), and TiVO transfered the account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
I have been looking for a method to get rid of my 2 hd dvr units for directv. I have two because on certain times I would like to record 3 programs at once and the units only do 2 at a time.


Can anyone suggest a method for recording 3 programs at once with one unit. I wish there was a way to have an online subscription and I could record off the internet as I hate Directv.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/18272859


I have been looking for a method to get rid of my 2 hd dvr units for directv. I have two because on certain times I would like to record 3 programs at once and the units only do 2 at a time.


Can anyone suggest a method for recording 3 programs at once with one unit. I wish there was a way to have an online subscription and I could record off the internet as I hate Directv.

build an htpc with three tuner cards or usb sticks. problem solved.

Best,

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyW /forum/post/18271030


You guys are missing the key feature: The screen shot shows COMCAST ON DEMAND. If in fact the Tivo can get On Demand shows from my cable provider, I am DITCHING my THREE f'ing $20/month Comcast DVRs (seriously, with taxes, it's over $60 just for the boxes). Those Motorola paperweights things are utter garbage, but my kids and wife like On Demand.


If you can access Comcast On Demand, there is ZERO reason to use a cable company DVR. Not talking about Dish or DirecTV because, like you, I live in Philly and I like the Phillies. Sats don't have Comcast SportsNet. And no, FIOS is not in my neighborhood.


I've had Tivos since 2001. Never had a problem except for once, but it was a kid trying to hook a video game up, disconnected the TiVo, and dropped it on a hardwood floor. Died. Bought a replacement (it was a series 1 I'd had for years), and TiVO transfered the account.

Me too but it's not going to happen with this release. What you are asking for is "true2way" and that's not ready yet. But..when it is...we're all over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/18273227


build an htpc with three tuner cards or usb sticks. problem solved.

Best,

Chris

How exactly would I do this and if I had one where would I download the television shows at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac /forum/post/18273376


Me too but it's not going to happen with this release. What you are asking for is "true2way" and that's not ready yet. But..when it is...we're all over it.

I'm aware of the cablecard "Evolution" currently being bandied about. It remains to be seen if that ever goes anywhere.


My point is that the screenshot clearly shows "Comcast On Demand." Don't know if that's photoshopped or not, but it figures pretty prominently. It will be interesting to see exactly what this is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
I think it means that box will get it at some point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I think this will come through the Internet, rather than over cable, and would be part of the xfinity service through fancast.com
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top