Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
What units will this work on? I've got the older standalone Tivos but I don't think they have a port for connection to a PC.
All Series2 standalones. No Series 1 (no USB), and no DirecTiVos until DirecTV enables it... I really, really want DirecTV to enable the Home Media Option - just for this feature!

Jeff

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
I feel the same way but from what I've read in this forum it probably will not happen because Directv doesn't care about this feature. I may be wrong but that's what I've heard.
Don't you think that D* should worry more about what the end user wants rather than what they want? If they don't do this, it would be a huge disappointment.

·
Registered
530 Posts
excluding the audio video maniacs like us who post on this and tivo community forum, there are not that many direct tv owners clamoring for HMO. So IMHO dtv will probably never go for it, atleast in the forseable future, or until it becomes mainstream by the competition, voom, E* and cable.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
DirecTV will roll out Home Media Option the moment sometime at DirecTV decides they will make money with it instead of losing money on support costs.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
DirecTV will roll out Home Media Option the moment sometime at DirecTV decides they will make money with it instead of losing money on support costs.
You're absolutely right, and I agree with you 100%.

However, there has to be a price point at which revenues exceed support costs. With a typical CSR call costing $25-$40 I have to believe that they'd do just fine with a fee of $100 per HMO-enabled DirecTivo. Particularly when you consider that the average per-household HMO setup total would be >$200.

My opinion is that D* is focused on maintaining/improving service to video users, that adding phone support for DVRs was a painful but necessary experience, and that they're not eager to open up a new can of worms with computerish stuff like HMO just now.

That will change when V* and the cable companies start shipping network-enabled media solutions. (Though in the case of Voom, that's more 'if' than 'when', but *somebody* will get the Ucentric technology to market.)

-T.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Tremor, I'm sure the price can be made high enough, but then what of demand? There is a fixed cost to training some group of CSRs or some third-party support -- whoever will do it.

If the price is too high and the adoption too low, well, then that's not good either.

You said, "My opinion is that D* is focused on maintaining/improving service to video users, that adding phone support for DVRs was a painful but necessary experience, and that they're not eager to open up a new can of worms with computerish stuff like HMO just now."

I'm sure there is something to that. I don't think Voom will ever reach the level of "noticeability" at DirecTV. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like an unusally quixotic venture. Cablevision's attempt to acquire the "Northpoint" spectrum seems so much more on point than Voom...

Mark

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Tremor, I'm sure the price can be made high enough, but then what of demand? There is a fixed cost to training some group of CSRs or some third-party support -- whoever will do it.

If the price is too high and the adoption too low, well, then that's not good either.
It's a question of scale, no doubt about it. If D* gets serious about flooding the satellite viewer market with DVRs, and they've been moving in that direction, it seems to me that HMO becomes a lot more likely.

I think it's possible that D* is going to make the 35-hour DTivo the receiver of choice for both new and existing customers, and greatly deemphasize the non-DVR receivers. This is in line with Murdoch's focus areas of customer retention and interactive programming.

Quote:
You said, "My opinion is that D* is focused on maintaining/improving service to video users, that adding phone support for DVRs was a painful but necessary experience, and that they're not eager to open up a new can of worms with computerish stuff like HMO just now."

I'm sure there is something to that. I don't think Voom will ever reach the level of "noticeability" at DirecTV. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like an unusally quixotic venture. Cablevision's attempt to acquire the "Northpoint" spectrum seems so much more on point than Voom...

Mark
Perhaps I wasn't articulating my point clearly, or distracted the reader with the Voom reference. :) I wasn't positing that Voom, per se, was going to make D* sit up and take notice regarding HMO -- it was a more general comment that the single factor most likely to cause D* to offer HMO would be similar capabilities from other programming providers. With both SA and Moto looking real, real hard at making the cable DVR the media hub for an in-house a/v distribution system, D* would be foolish not to consider using HMO to compete.

I'll be watching very closely to see who announces IP-over-coax products in the coming months. I think that this will be a good leading indicator of where the market may be going.

-T.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"If D* gets serious about flooding the satellite viewer market with DVRs, and they've been moving in that direction, it seems to me that HMO becomes a lot more likely."

Sure. Sounds good to me.

"I think it's possible that D* is going to make the 35-hour DTivo the receiver of choice for both new and existing customers, and greatly deemphasize the non-DVR receivers. "

Rock and roll, Rupert. Sounds great to me.

"D* would be foolish not to consider using HMO to compete."

Especially given that it sounds like Tivo bought Strangeberyy to take HMO to the next level -- or the level after that.

I like what you see happening. And believe me, I'd shell out the kwan for HMO in a heartbeat.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
When Voom's Ucentric server hits, DirecTV better have HMO on the HD-TiVo going or there will be a lot of people going to another service.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, it would have to be dozens of defections... I heard Rupert was quaking! :)

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Rogo, the market isn't the defections. It is the new users. Defections are not as great a risk because of the substantial investment people have made in their HD DirecTV receivers. What is a problem is they might lose out on a major percentage of the new users with the highest monthly bills - the top tier customers.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Poindexter -- If Voom rolls out something great based on Ucentric, it is not going to have any measureable effect on DirecTV. New users or not. I'm sorry, but Voom has no brand / name recognition. Most people don't know it exists. That is not going to dramatically change. And new users are going to be confused by all this sharing stuff anyway... 3 rooms or 4 rooms for free from Dish or DirecTV is pretty clear; even if wanting.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
3 or four rooms for free but not in HD isn't the path of the future, though. And true, VOOM has no name recognition. DirecTV and Dish Network were in that same boat when they started. Heck, DirecTV wasn't even a monopoly on the Hughes satellite, as I had an account with USSB back in the day.

Voom with Ucentric will force DirecTV to offer HMO on the HD-Tivo units to stay competitive for new users. After all, the business is built on new users and a low churn. PVR technology and media servers will greatly reduce churn, as has already been evidenced with the DirecTiVo receiver. The coolest package will influence what a new user will get - and over time Voom will become more recognized. They certainly are willing to spend the money advertising.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.