Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a TiVo user considering switching to Replay because of

the network/SwapDV features and Progressive Output.

How would you compare the picture quality in Best mode?

Is the Progressive Output an Improvement in Picture Quality?

I am a big user of the Season Pass with priority of each show. Does Replay TV have this type of clear priority scheme? The FAQ was informative but a bit complicated.

Anyone out there compared these boxes head to head?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
702 Posts
The scheduling isn't nearly as good as the season pass editor if you ask me. I own both. There are lots of people I'm sure that will chime in and flame back and forth. The replay uses guaranteed time slots. So if you schedule something that is guaranteed it won't record anything non guaranteed during that time. I guess if a guaranteed thing changes time and conflicts with another guaranteed it's arbitrated by the order in which you created your guaranteed show recordings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had a 14 hour tivo. when i became familiar with the 4040, i was intrigued enough that i ebay the tivo to give replaytv a shot.

i was very happy with tivo so the change was a big move for me.

i got the 4040, and i was really surprised at just how different the brands really are. i guess i was thinking ok, this one has these features, this one has that but the general approach of recording etc has to be pretty much the same? i was wrong.

as it stands replaytv doesn't really have the same kind of conflict management that tivo users are use to. there is no season pass but there is a guaranteed record. also, there is no first time only record .

so the question, was i happy with my decision to migrate? ABSOLUTELY. in my mind the replaytv unit is SO much more versatile that the steeper learning curve was easily worth it.

* SwapDV - move programs to your laptop and watch them.

* networked replaytvs allow for easy program access.

* www.myreplaytv.com *is* convenient from time to time.

* commercial advance - simply AWESOME.

i used to think that i didn't mind fast forwarding through commercials. now i marvel at why tivo hasn't adopted this great feature.

replaytv could certainly take a few pages from tivos book but the technological strides that they have adopted, in my mind, make up for it. one would think that maybe some of these suggested features might make it into future firmware updates? but if not .. i'm still a very satisfied customer.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Rich -

If you have the option, you might want to consider a DirecTiVo, integrated receiver. You get 35 hours at Best Quality, instead of 9 hours or so with the 4040 or stand alone TiVo. I understand that it may not be possible for you, but as someone that has both integrated and stand alone boxes, I much prefer the picture quality on my DirecTiVo boxes (just for the record, the stand alone TiVo receivers are connected to both AT&T cable and Echostar receivers).

/carmi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.