AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that Tivo cannot record HD signal, but my question is this: If you have an HD receiver, can you get Tivo to simply record the SD feed. In other words, can I still watch my HD receiver when I want to watch HD, but record the SD feed with Tivo, all from the same wire from the sttelite. I only have the capability to have one wire from my sattelite (large building, dish on roof, can only have one feed). Is purchasing Tivo an option for me while still using my HD receiver as my primary receiver? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sure, you can use TiVo with an HD receiver if the receiver is in SD mode. On my Dish 6000, if I have it set to SD output, TiVo has no problem. If I am watching a High-Def program, TiVo can't record it unless I have the receiver downconvert to SD, though.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
7 Posts
How does that work, exactly? I mean, since the tuner is in the Tivo unit itself, and the HD receiver from Dish/DirecTV/Cable has it's own built in tuner, how does the standalone SD Tivo change channels or communicate with the HD receiver?

It seems like if you can't use the Tivo's tuner, you lose all the cool things that make Tivo so great in the first place. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I cant help the OP, but for avacaliuc:

A Standalone TiVo has IR Blasters and a special port on the back, that will work with alot of different Sat and DTV Receivers. You set the TiVo to tune channel 3, and then instead of changing the TiVo's tuner to the apropriate channel, it blasts those signals to the 3rd Party Tuner so it can do it.

This is all configured in the TiVo Setup Screens. To switch from TiVo Tuning to External Tuning you have to go into the Reset My TiVo menu and one of the options walks you through a mini setup to change this. Dont choose the one that blows away your recoprdings though.

PS: My info is for a TiVo Series 1, not sure what changed in 2

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I have my TiVo hooked up to an SA 3100HD HD cable STB. I always have cable and never use the TiVo's built-in NTSC tuner. I connect the cable STB's S-Video output to one of the TiVo's inputs and record from that. There's nothing connected to my TiVo's antenna coax and there never has been.

The SA 3100HD, when tuned to a non-DTV SD channel, presents the signal on both S-Video and component outputs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.