AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that the lens cover on my TM90 is stuck open after I turn off the camera. When I power on I can hear some motor type noise for a couple seconds and the camera still functions normally.

When I power off I can hear a faint click type noise but the cover remains open.

Did anyone else hear of this problem before. Is there something I could use as a makeshift cover? Would a U/V filter degrade the image much?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jimmy,

I am just now experiencing the lens cover problem. Mine does close, but there is some time before it does (not like it was when I bought it new). Have you found a solution for this or? I bought my camera through Costco so I am going to return it and get another one (they are currently sold out online; of course right? lol).

Ken

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk504
Jimmy,

I am just now experiencing the lens cover problem. Mine does close, but there is some time before it does (not like it was when I bought it new). Have you found a solution for this or? I bought my camera through Costco so I am going to return it and get another one (they are currently sold out online; of course right? lol).

Ken
Ken make sure quick record is not enabled. The camera does not completely shut down and the lens stays open.

The omly reason it should close is if some dirt was stuck in the hood guides. The lens hood is spring loaded and should close.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk504 /forum/post/20969865

Jimmy,

Ken

Ken,

My lens cover became stuck in the open position after a windy couple hours at the beach. I can hear the motor trying to open/close it after power off/on. My guess is sand blew in the lens cover gaps and jammed the mechanism. I need to take the camera apart to really look inside and see whats going on.

I found the service manual online that shows diagrams and screw removal procedures so a technician could make various repairs.

I might try to open up the camera and remove the lens cover and linkage so the motor I hear turning isn't moving against friction from the sand. I'll be shooting at the beach a lot so the cover would just get stuck again.

If I'm carefull I don't really need a lens cover.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk504 /forum/post/20971585

Ron,

I will look when I get home (I will still purchase another sd90 just in case after work). If it's dust ill try to vacuum it out or use compressed air.

Ken

Make sure quick start is turned off!

If you have quick start turned on and ll close after 5 minutes. Is that what is happening?

·
Registered
72 Posts
-

Quick record was not on and I cleaned out the lens cover area with compressed air and vacuumed it. I also purchased a new camcorder from Costco. I compared both side by side and they were the same. I noticed that if you quickly open the lcd screen then close it there is some delay (happened on both, brand new and old camera). If you have them both open for a few seconds (10+) then close it the lens cover will close fine. I kept the new one just in case and will be returning the old camera.

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.