Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

This is my first thread :) I have run some exahaustive tests on the new TMPGenc DVD Author and it doesn't have any issues with replay files. Try it out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Which version of ReplayTV are you using ?? 4xxx, 45xx, 5xxx?

Perhaps you could cover the general procedures you used during your testing ...

btw .. thanks for your post .. i was wondering if I should try their new software, you helped me make up my mind.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Everyone,

After doing alot of Smallville shows in divx, I decided to go back to mpeg2 for compatibility reasons....

The interface is very clean and easy to use.

1) Took both an edited file (using womble) and dumped it in.

2) Took an unedited file (direct from replay) and dumped it in.

3) Spent approximately 3 minutes making quick simple menu with chapter navigation points.

4) Told it to author and was done in 40 minutes.

All files taken from a 4000 series replay. Get the 30 day trial and I am sure you will buy this one...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I downloaded the demo and tried to use an episode of SpongeBob taken from a 5040, recorded in standard quality.

When I attempted to "Add File" under "Source Setup", I got the error:

"This is an illegal video file"

"TMPGEnc DVD Author has encountered a fatal error which it could not ignore"

I'm guessing it doesn't like the resolution of a standard quality ReplayTV MPEG. Has anyone tried using a standard quality file?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem ("This is an illegal video file") while trying to open my Medium quality 5xxx Replay .mpg files. Maybe this new program can be updated for 5xxx Replays since it looks like at least one user here is having success with their 4xxx files?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The std setting for replay IS a valid DVD format, so that won't be the problem.

What may be the problem is the replayTV's bitrate values, which peak way outside the DVD spec and since the following is true:

6. Quickly convert MPEG files to ifo, VOB files without re-encoding.

Since DVD Author does not re-encode the video file, you can quickly convert MPEG files to a DVD file folder structure without degrading the quality.

You'd only be able to guess that anything outside the DVD spec ain't going to work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I suspect that this authoring program has the same issues with replay files as others... There are two basic things to try...

1. RichA's recommended step of using DVDPatcher to patch the first header (or all)... This hasn't helped me get my files to be usable, but it has for others...

2. Use MPEG2Cut to edit out the first GOP... leave the rest intact if you want or cut out the non-commercial segments... sometimes this requires a couple of attempts... cut a gop from the beginning, then test...if it doesn't work, cut another GOP...etc... in the prgram, each 'click' of movement in MPEG2Cut is a gop (I think)... so just cut the leftmost click...

This work for me... I tried out TMPGEnc Author this past weeked...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello All,

Sorry for not replying to this thread...

I am not sure why you all are having problems.

I was able to drop both medium quality files edited and unedited straight into the program without any errors.. What unit are you guys using, are you files edited or unedited...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.