AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have not seen it posted, and there is quite a bit of discussion on making DVDs from PVRs, I thought this product might be of some interest.

TMPGEnc DVD Author

Only "issue" if you consider it as one, for me has been the resolution restriction. The resolution must be in DVD compliant format which is...

352x240 352x240 352x480 704x480 720x480

It also has a very nice editing feature for removing comercial breaks.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes a great application.

I use iuVCR / HuffyUV for lossless PVR capture, and then use TMPGEnc to convert to DVD Mpeg using 2-pass VBR. After trying many different utilities and methods, this process by far produces the best final quality!

The TMPGEnc "cut editing" is also extremely powerful, and allows me to edit the commercials out of a 1 hour TV show very quickly before encoding. (nb: using the lossless AVI capture also allows frame accurate editing, as well as avoiding loosing quality throgh a double compression process).

Finally, regarding your issue. I think you are just referring to the "presets" that exist in the wizard interface. If you actually click on the settings, you can adjust horizontal and vertical encoding resolution to any multiple of 16 (as well as having full control over all settings).

My only issue with this awesome utility is that some of the really powerful functionality in the program is not immediately intuitive. But once you get to know the tricks it is truely an outstanding program.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I took a quick look at this program and it appears that you need to have a separate program to burn the DVD. Is this correct? The only programs I currently have that can do this are MyDVD and Studio 8. Will either of these work? If not is there a free/cheap program to burn DVDs that will work with TMPGEnc DVD Author. Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, but I think you are talking about TMPGEnc. This is about a totally new product that takes the output of TMPGEnc and produces the VOBS, menus and structure to create a fully compliant DVD. Not even IFOEdit can do this since it does not do menus.

Yes, you need a seperate DVD Burning application. I use the one that came with my Sony DRU-500A without any problems. I think it is called RecordNow (I don't have the HTPC on right now). Any Burner that can do a data disk should work fine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wow, OK, apologies. I completely missed the "DVD Author" bit!

Yes, I was refering to the original TMPGEnc product, wasn't aware of a completely new application being out with similar name.

I'll go and download now and investigate. If it does menus as well then it's sounding pretty good.

The blurb mentions PAL compatibility, but then the resolutions mentioned are not PAL (eg: 576 lines etc.)

Hopefully, the stated feature "Supports every setting in TMPGEnc Plus 2.5" is correct!

Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.