AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot playback MKVs from within MediaBrowser with TMT3 when using uMCEDVDPlayer.exe.

If I open the mkv with the standalone TMT3 it plays perfectly.

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda /forum/post/16913081

I cannot playback MKVs from within MediaBrowser with TMT3 when using uMCEDVDPlayer.exe.

If I open the mkv with the standalone TMT3 it plays perfectly.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Same here. Do not think this has ever worked. In my case Media Center's built in player always takes over.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
If you are using media browser you are also using media center. So why have it launch TMT? You can play those MKV's right in media center with full HA and for free.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i prefer to use tmt3 plus i dont have to use ANY codecs other then just installing tmt3 to play everything. for me that is a HUGE win. simple for my wife and my kids. just hit enter on the movie you want and never have to worry about updating codecs or change settings. plus trying to explain to them how i ripped this dvd along time ago as a iso, vcd, or is a new movie that is a mkv. based on that info you have to play it like this or its buggy. personally i have a huge library that i will not go back and get all my disks out of the garage just to rip them again to mkv.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
your issue is different then the posters..his issue has to do with spawning TMT3 from within Media Browser/MC and playing a specific file type.. Your issue sounds like it doesnt play the file type at all no matter what...

Very different..

Honestly using media center is the easiest way to get to your movies.. far easier then putting in the disk or trying to locate them through a folder structure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugeroni /forum/post/16914174

i get the same unsupported message. i wrote it off but i am glad you are asking i would much rather use tmt3 instead of vmc or 7mc. someone please have a fix!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
well its not different because even if you use mymovies with the theatretek registry hack tmt3 gives you same error. it seems to be the way the exe handles the file or files from media center.

here is what i mean. if you use one udigitaltheatre.exe for the reg hack tmt3 will not open. if you use the umediacenter.exe one it gives the unsupported file format message. there is a third exe that i cannot remember butif you use that one it does nothing.

i am at work so if those exe are not specific i apologize but i hope you get the picture.

tmt3 works perfect as the default physical media player from within media center. but if you try to use it configuring mediabrowser or mymovies it behaves the same way in error. if you go to the folders and double click the file from explorer tmt3 will play the media fine.

just for the record arcsoft never said this would work so i dont fault them. i think the blame is on ms for some how forcing you to use their media player once inside media center. but this type of stuff is what you can expect from ms.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The only thing media center cant play is Bluray ISO, Bluray Folder or DVD ISO within its framework..(must spawn an external player)... everything else works fine... I have tested it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda /forum/post/16915116

it is just easier to have one program play all files like tmt3.

media center does play everything unless you through a bunch of codecs at it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
then something has to be wierd. for me it wont even see mkv files until in install the k-lite codec pack. even after a fresh install. it will play the dvd rips and others fine (i dont use iso but i am considering it) but with mkv it always gave me a message that it couldnt find a source or video file.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugeroni /forum/post/16914325

i prefer to use tmt3 plus i dont have to use ANY codecs other then just installing tmt3 to play everything. for me that is a HUGE win. simple for my wife and my kids. just hit enter on the movie you want and never have to worry about updating codecs or change settings. plus trying to explain to them how i ripped this dvd along time ago as a iso, vcd, or is a new movie that is a mkv. based on that info you have to play it like this or its buggy. personally i have a huge library that i will not go back and get all my disks out of the garage just to rip them again to mkv.

TMT installs it's own codecs. 7MC plays almost everything natively without codecs. You just manually register the MPC-HC filter, install Haali media splitter and AC3 filter and now everything plays. Full HA. All within Media Center without having to use external players. You don't need a bunch of codecs.

You don't have to update anything either. Movies launch faster this way then having to use an external player. Just seems simplier to me this way.

My wife and kids use it too. Don't have to do anything more than hit play. Very simple.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Instead of uMCEDVDPlayer.exe, try uDigital or uStart.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugeroni /forum/post/16917185

how do i manually register the MPC-HC filter? i am trying your suggestion now.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/articles/12013.aspx

You need to launch a command prompt as admin. In the run/search box type in cmd and hit control-shift-enter together. This will launch it as admin.

Here you can download mpvvideodec for both 32 and 64bit
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/files/

Technically you don't need that filter as windows 7 has one built in. But this one is higher quality in my experience.

You are going to want to use this tool after you register the MPC filter so you can set it as the preferred filter:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/06/prefe...windows-7.html

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugeroni /forum/post/16915348

then something has to be wierd. for me it wont even see mkv files until in install the k-lite codec pack. even after a fresh install. it will play the dvd rips and others fine (i dont use iso but i am considering it) but with mkv it always gave me a message that it couldnt find a source or video file.

From a fresh install, you don't need a codec pack to play MKVs, just a splitter such as Haali. Do a google search and install it, you can then right click on an MKV and choose to have Media Center always open this file type, that'll get them recognised.

(The reason K-lite works for you is because it includes Haali, but you don't need all the other stuff it installs.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts