AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was watching "men in black" on the TNT-HD channel last week and it was in dolby digital and it seemed like all the bass was filtered out of the movie

is it possible that TNT is adding extra compression to the audio signal?

· Registered
727 Posts
Don't know about that...usually TNTHD is feature filled with quality audio...may have been some technical problems...although I watched a few minutes of MIB and didn't notice anything like that.

I know there is a stark difference between watching a basketball game on TNTHD vs. ESPNHD...they are even in video quality but the audio is way better on TNTHD broadcasts. With TNTHD, I get a "like you're actually there" feeling and you just don't get the same feeling watching the ESPN feed.

· Registered
325 Posts
working for a cable provider I can tell you that all feeds will have some compression and clean up done, you have to remember most of the local stations anyways are sent OTA..TNT should be an optical link I would assume and therefore should be better quality than say ABC from your local city.

That being said I checked mine out and the sound seems pretty dynamic on TNT even maybe more so than my other channels except for like Discovery HD.

· Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
you have to remember most of the local stations anyways are sent OTA..TNT should be an optical link I would assume and therefore should be better quality than say ABC from your local city.

Huh?
.... Any network HD OTA broadcast will exceed the audio and video quality of a cable/sat broadcast of the same show. The fact that the audio is delivered from the cable box to your receiver via optical does not address the fact that the audio was already compressed before it got to the cable box.

OTA does not suffer the same degree of audio or video compression, if any at all.

Tim

· Registered
1,255 Posts
Yup, I was just watching Matrix Reloaded the other day on TNT-HD and that one scene where the key-maker is talking about the building with the bombs in it was highly compressed. Didn't get nearly as loud as on DVD.

· Registered
3,343 Posts
That's odd. I tend to think the the TNT-HD channel is a little to bass heavy on my Comcast (JAX FL area) hook up. T5E broadcast had way more bass and thump than my DVD. There was more bass in the gun shots in Kill Bill than treble it was like everyone was firing 25mm hand guns. I guess I'll keep my problem over yours though.

· Registered
4,671 Posts
TNTHD needs work .....

· Registered
242 Posts
Maybe it is just my area or Insight cable, but I find TNTHD unwatchable as far as audio goes. More times than not there are serious audio sync issues. So bad that I can't even compensate for it in my Denon receiver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.