AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have nothing setup for any media. I do not have the dedicated media server built as of yet. Have tried to watch some avi's via my BD player, but not much luck. Have wished I knew how to do other things related to, but no time or budget yet. Hasn't been a big issue, but I know with Christmas coming up, the urge to complete this undertaking will be greater. Anyhow, I hope to start building this and running either MS Server 2008 or Home Server at the beginning of 2011. It will have USB, a card reader, etc... Anyhow, just some background info to help me with my question on media extenders.

I understand their function and all, but in the grand scheme of things, once I have my HTPC server built and setup, will a media extender still have any use in it all? Guess I should add that right now, my home theater consists of (1) 52" TV and (1) 32". A Panasonic BD-60, PS3, Wii, XBox 360, Comcast, HD DVR, Denon 590 AVR and Logitech Harmony One and Airlink high speed wireless access point. Am sure I am leaving out a couple of pieces, but that is the bulk. Hope not to much info. Basically, I want to know that if I get a cheap media extender know like the $69 Western Digital I have seen, will it be obsolete when I do finish my server? I just think it would be cool right now to pop in a thumb drive, SD card, or wireless from my phone to view pics, videos, a downloaded movie, You Tube, etc... I can do some things, but other things I cannot. I think some of it is because I haven't figured it all out yet. That will be more post in the future as I get closer to that other project. Just for now, I am curious, if I pick up one of those cheap media extenders, I don't want to spend the money if it will not be useful in 3-4 months when I have this server done.

I know, long post for simple question. Seem to try to not to, but want all to know the background and see where coming and where going to. Thoughts on this?

Additionally, I thought it might be cool to add a media extender to my Christmas list. But again, if I won't need it in a few months time, then why. The bigger questions are, are one better than another if trying to stay below $150? And the other, how do you figure on putting it all together?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I'm not understanding what you mean...

are you talking about a dedicated media box like the WDTV? or a media center extender? your Xbox 360 is a media center extender.

a device like the WDTV would still be useful. you use your 360 for MCE purposes, your WDTV for streaming stuff from your HTPC.

the lowest WDTV to aim for is the WD TV Live. at least it's still getting regular updates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts