AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Attachment 193803

above is room layout, i have an empire located directly behind the seats, nearfiled. no problems with empire at all.

thinking about adding another empire, thinking about stacking them or locating them side by side with 3ft in between?

also open to adding subs up beside the mains, small sealed 12's like the svs sb12 or ed A5s-300??

don't really need more bass, just want it. i am leaning a little on two small subs up front to spread the bass around the room a bit?

all opinions and pros /cons welcome.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela /forum/post/19630570

Attachment 193803

above is room layout, i have an empire located directly behind the seats, nearfiled. no problems with empire at all.

thinking about adding another empire, thinking about stacking them or locating them side by side with 3ft in between?

also open to adding subs up beside the mains, small sealed 12's like the svs sb12 or ed A5s-300??

don't really need more bass, just want it. i am leaning a little on two small subs up front to spread the bass around the room a bit?

Unless the Empire is localizable, what do you think you will gain from "spreading the bass around the room a bit"?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I think getting matching subs is always the best option. They will gain match up and compliment each other perfectly. You can co-locate for ~6db increase or spread out for ~3db increase and have more even bass throughout room helping to combat peaks and nulls. Is there not any room up by mains to fit the empires, they would also work as stereo subs up beside the mains. I don't know what mains you have but if lacking in midbass using them in stereo you have option of raising crossover to send more signal to subs without them be localized. Adding two lesser subs up front will help smooth out bass in room, but probably not add too much noticable spl to the room.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela /forum/post/19630570

Attachment 193803

Multiples really do tend to even out the bass througout the room. It makes the bass more consistant sounding from one seat to the next. It also usually tends to smooth out the frequency response in the room. Another possibility with the small subs up near the mains is to run the subs in stereo. You can then crossover to the mains as high as the subs will play without any localization. This makes for some killer mid and upper bass and it also takes a big load off your mian amps. End result is that your mid-range and highs wind up playing even cleaner. I've been running that sort of setup for years and will not have it any other way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19631457

Unless the Empire is localizable, what do you think you will gain from "spreading the bass around the room a bit"?

sometimes the empire is easily located. it seems the rear of the room has more bass than the front, could be in my head though??

the mains are klipsch rf-82 towers, do a good job. i was tossing up the idea of two 12" subs up front beside the mains to add some bass to the front of the room.

when i crank everything up near reference the whole room is filled. listening at lower levels sometimes the bass is lacking everywhere.

for music i like to listen in stereo with the sub on crossed at 80hz, i would probably still do the same even if i add 2 more subs.

again, might be all in my head or just a bad case of upgradis

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela /forum/post/19632260

sometimes the empire is easily located. it seems the rear of the room has more bass than the front, could be in my head though??

the mains are klipsch rf-82 towers, do a good job. i was tossing up the idea of two 12" subs up front beside the mains to add some bass to the front of the room.

when i crank everything up near reference the whole room is filled. listening at lower levels sometimes the bass is lacking everywhere.

for music i like to listen in stereo with the sub on crossed at 80hz, i would probably still do the same even if i add 2 more subs.

again, might be all in my head or just a bad case of upgradis

I don't doubt for a second that there are times when the Empire is localizable. Nor do I doubt that you hear more bass from the rear of the room than from the front.

Given this additional information, a couple more subs should make things better.

A pair of the SVS SB-12 NSD at the introductory price, placed with your mains should give you what you are looking for.

Thanks for the additional information.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/19631550

Multiples really do tend to even out the bass througout the room. It makes the bass more consistant sounding from one seat to the next. It also usually tends to smooth out the frequency response in the room. Another possibility with the small subs up near the mains is to run the subs in stereo. You can then crossover to the mains as high as the subs will play without any localization. This makes for some killer mid and upper bass and it also takes a big load off your mian amps. End result is that your mid-range and highs wind up playing even cleaner. I've been running that sort of setup for years and will not have it any other way.

I read you 5 by 5.

And then there are those who prefer a sub for each channel, and wouldn't have it any other way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts