AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What screen are you using with this projector, 4:3 or 16:9?

If you have a 16:9 screen, how do you adjust the projector

to view 4:3 material properly, i.e. to center the picture on the screen with black bars on the sides? Your help is much

appreciated.

Thanks,

DP

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just installed 4:3 draper, matte white. So far so good. Jason Turk at AVS gave me a great price and great service. I bent his ear but he was nice enough to answer any questions I had.

Good luck.

Tom

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
DIY, 16:9, gray, 8'x4' made from a sheet of melomine. Works great! All material is projected through a Panamorph. 4:3 material is preprocessed and centered in a 16:9 frame either by my HTPC or HDD200.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
My screen is a pine wood frame with white blackout curtain material (available at your local fabric store) stretched and stapled tightly across the frame like a giant portrait canvas. Total cost:

The screen size is 54" x 90", which is an aspect ratio of 1.67:1. This is a little more than halfway between 4:3 and 16:9, and I found it to be the best compromise between the two aspect ratios. I watch 4:3 material with the VT540's zoom lens pulled nearly all the way back so that the picture fills the screen top-to-bottom, and I watch widescreen material with the projector lens zoomed all the way out to fill the screen side-to-side.

·
Registered
423 Posts
2.35, 45" x 105". constant height, variable width, with ISCO II. Requires more moving/zooming to fill the screen for all image aspect ratios, but looks great, and not difficult if your setup allows mounting your projector on a rolling projection cart. I'd do it again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just recently got a Da-lite Matte White screen. The picture appears very dull compared to an old glass-beaded screen I had. Any dark scenes are very difficult to watch. I have adjusted the image several ways and used AVIA also. With a blue screen image, the blue appears grey-blue vs. vivid blue with the glass-beaded screen. Any suggestions? Anyone tried a hi-gain screen instead?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi, XRay-

My screen is a dalite higain, which has many satisfied users around here. Especially good if you've got a table mounted projector, and can sit in front of the screen rather than off to the sides, although it is definitely still watchable from an angle. No hotspotting from anywhere. I much prefer it to my former matte screen.

The decision to be made appears to be whether you like the added brightness and 'snap', or whether black levels are paramount to you, in which case the greyhawk seems to have the most fans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.