AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a good run with my AMD systems for the past year and a half, all the Athlons and Durons I've gotten for my business and my home have been stable, fast, and well priced.

Today, Intel won me back! I just got my first P4 system, to use as my new HTPC/WebTV-like thing/Jukebox/Toy - it's a 1.6GHz Northwood popped into an Asus P4S333M with 256MB of Nanya DDR, and a Coolermaster IHCL71 HSF.

I installed Win2k = uneventful. Then I thought I'd test how well this thing overclocks.

I typically don't overclock my systems at all, I just think it's a good indicator of stable a system will be, and with the Athlons I'd kick it up a few FSB clicks at a time until no POST. This P4S has a bios setting where you can choose manual, 1600MHz, and 2133MHz. I thought, what the hey, when the coppermine-core P3s came out they could do 133FSB when they were rated at 100, I'll give this a shot. I figured it might POST, then crap out in the Windows screen, but nope. 2133MHz, 533FSB, CAS 2-2-2 RAM settings, default voltage, and absolutely rock solid stable and running at about 37 to 42 degrees C. WOW. (Wayne, did you know they were this good, or is this exactly what you tried to tell me?!)

Intel sure makes a fine product.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'll second that. I've got a P4 1.8 running @2502MHz. Can go higher but no need because all my benchmarks are ridiculously high. I'm also an AMD fan but the P4 1.6 & 1.8 are pretty cheap right now and O/C really well.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jahesh:

:D is about all that needs to be said.

___I have my 1.6A running at just 2.4 w/ a 4:5 divider for 187 MHz Memory. It runs at default voltage at 155 MHz FSB as well but I have to lower my DDR divider and actually lose a bit of performance on the memory front. I saw artifact production with the ATI 7200 Radeon above 155 MHz FSB/77.5 MHz AGP so there wasn’t anything left for me to do in that regard :( At 166 MHz FSB my SiS P4S533 is running PCI - 41.5 MHz/AGP - 83 MHz which is way up there. The darn CPU was still running at default voltage but the video card is on its last legs with a non-usable mess for a display. Oh how I wish I had an Abit IT-7 right now at 166 MHz FSB synchronously running my DDR up there with maxxed timings for this magical CPU as well ;)

___Good Luck and enjoy …

PS: When you find your limits, back them down a bit so that you can enjoy the “Intel Inside†like it was meant to be enjoyed in an HTPC. It is too bad we have all the CPU/MB/Memory performance we could imagine and we hamstring the darn things with these pitifully performing Radeons for the best display. These Intel chips and boards were meant to fly so hopefully the 8800’s or RV300 cored variants will become available very soon and work for a change … Oh, I forgot, we are talking ATI here :(

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.