AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 and a pair of B&W 685's.


I've mostly seen people saying it's not worth it to bi-amp, I figured since I'm not using those other channels any way I might as well put them to good use, but what do I know. I have tried them bi-amped and they do seem louder to me, although I've never put a DB meter on them.


Any other thoughts or suggestions? I've had this setup for a while now but I need to go out and buy new speaker wire because right now I'm using some crap wire that I took from a sub 75.00 home theater in a box.


Also, I was thinking 14 or 12 gauge wire, any suggestions? The runs are actually quite short, probably 10-15 feet max each.


TIA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl  /t/1414545/to-bi-amp-or-not#post_22112208


I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 and a pair of B&W 685's.

I've mostly seen people saying it's not worth it to bi-amp, I figured since I'm not using those other channels any way I might as well put them to good use, but what do I know. I have tried them bi-amped and they do seem louder to me, although I've never put a DB meter on them.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I've had this setup for a while now but I need to go out and buy new speaker wire because right now I'm using some crap wire that I took from a sub 75.00 home theater in a box.

Also, I was thinking 14 or 12 gauge wire, any suggestions? The runs are actually quite short, probably 10-15 feet max each.

TIA.
The 14 is more than enough for that...and from what ive read, the science behind bi-amping is false, but if you think theres a difference (Y)! It's your own ears that matter.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard  /t/1414545/to-bi-amp-or-not#post_22112645


from what ive read, the science behind bi-amping is false.
The pseudo-science behind bi-wiring is false. Bi-amping gives very good results, but only when properly implemented. That means an electronic crossover, separate amplification for highs/lows, and most important, the elimination of the passive crossover components. If you don't do the last there's a slight improvement to be gained, but only slight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
You've gotten good advice.

14 or 16ga wire should be fine.

No need to biwire or biamp, but if you want to play around with it, feel free to do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the thing is there's a bit of a cost difference for the wiring, so I'm leaning towards no. I do want to try it out again with the wire I have just to be sure. I could have sworn it sounded a bit better, louder, bi amped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Well, if biwiring or biamping in this method is going to require you buying more speaker wire, I would no longer recommend experimenting just for the fun of it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either way I need new wire, just a matter of if I'm getting cheaper double wire, or more expensive 14/4 or 16/4
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl  /t/1414545/to-bi-amp-or-not#post_22113341


I could have sworn it sounded a bit better, louder, bi amped.
What you heard was placebo effect. In any event the output level of your speakers is limited by the driver displacement, and nothing will change that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl  /t/1414545/to-bi-amp-or-not#post_22113341


I could have sworn it sounded a bit better, louder, bi amped.
It is more probable that it sounded slightly "cleaner", rather than "louder" (though you could perceive it this way) when you pushed your receiver to the point of clipping, since that's the sole benefit of passive bi-amping as you have implemented it. You change the clipping spectral component distribution due to the XO legs been driven by separate output transistor banks, despite the same power supply. Not everyone can comprehend this so I'm not going to bother to explain (or "argue" as one would do with a tree or shoe) for the umpteenth time, but rather chuckle at the mired in morass of ignorance, since that feature is a tremendous source of entertainment for me on audio boards.



cheers,


AJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
"Also, I was thinking 14 or 12 gauge wire, any suggestions? The runs are actually quite short, probably 10-15 feet max each."


Go with the 12 gauge.

Why just do it, when you can over do it.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top