AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased canare 4S11 quad speaker wire to biwire my rear surrounds(b&w 805's) The length of the run is approximately 35 feet and 40 feet to the speakers. I was told at a high end audio store I shouldn't biwire this long of length, It would be much better to use the quad wire by combining two wires to each post. I believe they are each 14g each. Any one have any ideas as to the best way to connect them? Thanks

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It's suprising a high-end store told you this but they are essentially correct. There is no science to the bi-wire theories but by combining two wires to each post you are effectively using a lower gauge wire which is always best.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Waitaminit! "two wires to each post" ? There are four posts. Are they telling you buy *more* wire?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I was assuming there were some jumpers remaining in place at the speaker.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
I run 4S11 to my surrounds. Tie the 'reds' together and the 'whites' together. Add a good crimp on spade connector and you're all set. Analysis Plus makes some spades that will accept them tied together like this.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I invoke Occam's Razor.

How else do you explain an A/V store trying to sell less cable?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Ahhhhhhh...the old Occam's razor...well I'll take my Gillette so there! Well the simple thought is that they'll sell you a more pricey wire to do the single wiring.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Just Google for it. Check out both Cardas and Analysis Plus. There are several different styles. They aren't cheap but are some of the few that will take wire of that size.

Check out the usual DIY Cable houses first.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Excellent thread I never even thought about it, my dealer just told me to bi-wire and never asked about the run length. I have about the same runs in the back surrounds on B&W 601's. I currently have them bi-wired, should I twist the ends together and put the jumper that came with the speaker back in place?

Norm

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
No difference. I'd just leave them as they are to shut your friends up who'll come over, check out the back of your speakers, and then make stupid comments.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsey
my dealer just told me to bi-wire
Fire his butt !! He's padding your bill.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'm running 4S11 too in bi-wire to the rears. It's just a preference.

Now the reason for the longer = no bi-wire argument is this.

Thicker guages are better for longer runs.

While the little red and white and black wires inside the 'star quad' are 14 guage each (bi-wire configuration), when combined (shotgun configuration) they make for 11 guages of wire.

To bi-wire 11 guage you'd need two sets of canare running to each speaker for a total of 8 little wires inside. Double your pleasure...

Seth

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Eating $40/lb cheese for all three meals is just a preference, too. But I'd dope-slap any grocer that told me that it makes a balanced diet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.