AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my wife and I both like the look of the Sony 50" XBR best, I'm seriously considering the Panasonic TH-50PX20.

The consumer version is going to look better in our home than the commercial/industrial one would. (It's not as if we need the speakers or the tuner, but I'm willing to pay the extra for a slick looking unit.

My only real reservation (other than trying to find a reasonable price in Canada) is whether or not I should wait three or four months for the 2004 model TH-50PX25 "Viera". From what I've read so far, the only real difference is the built-in cableCARD slot. Somehow I doubt it would work with our cable provider anyway, so if that is the only difference, then I can put that worry to bed.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gx35
The TH-50PX25 is basically a 50PX20U with the added features.

No improvements on the PQ.
how do you know this? :confused: i was browsing the japanese site on their Viera lineup and everywhere they highlight peAks this peAks that..

the heck is peAks? is that new for the 2004 viera line only? does the 2003 line have it?

*and thought he was decided on getting plasma now.. might as well wait until april since it's only 2 months away*

:(

edit: -.- got my answer on the very last page of my viera search, lol
Among the new digital HD flat-panel TV models to be introduced are three plasma televisions - TH-50PX20 (50-inch diagonal), TH-42PX20 (42-inch), and TH-37PX20 (37-inch) - and three LCD televisions - TH-32LX20 (32-inch), TH-26LX20 (26-inch), and TH-22LX20 (22-inch). All models feature an integrated tuner that can receive all three kinds of digital broadcasting services available in Japan-- Broadcast Satellite (BS), 110-degree Communication Satellite (CS 110), and terrestrial broadcasting -- incorporated into a flat, thin body. They will be also equipped with Panasonic's state-of-the-art Picture Enhancement Accelerator with Kinetic System (PEAKS) that includes the single-chip HDTV system LSI and the high-definition PEAKS progressive display panel. Panasonic's PEAKS technology makes it possible to process all video signals in digital form to achieve optimal picture quality. Other features include an Ethernet jack for connecting to the broadband information service "T-navi," which is available only in Japan, the industry's first Electronic Program Guide (EPG) spanning the above three broadcast systems and analog terrestrial broadcasting, and PCMCIA card /SD card slot. *

still.. it's worth waiting for at least April to maybe get a new plasma set.. why jump the gun now when it's only months away until the new models are released :p

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyBear

still.. it's worth waiting for at least April to maybe get a new plasma set.. why jump the gun now when it's only months away until the new models are released :p
If you like the ATSC tuner built-in with cableCARD slot , why wait ?!? :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gx35
If you like the ATSC tuner built-in with cableCARD slot , why wait ?!? :)
forget all that! :p mainly because it's newer.. there's bound to have been changes (hopefully better) between 2003 and 2004 -.-

so who knows, maybe it has longer plasma life.. brighter picture.. -shrug- i dunno!

but like i said :D it's already February.. April is just a month away!

ssso sssshiny.. teh preciousss :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I picked up the 50PX25 about two weeks ago, and it is amazing. The retail price was not that relevant because of the discounted price I got on it. When the new model comes out, even though it will have a retail price $500 lower, retailers are less likely to discount it that much initially, so the price probably shouldn't be the deciding factor initially. The only differences I've found so far, even after calling Panasonic, is the CableCard slot, and the new tuner. I called Comcast's technical people, and they told me that they are working on their next generation of cable boxes, and do not have any plans for a CableCard right now. The resolution, SD and PCMCIA support are the same as on the 20 according to the press release and what Panasonic told me. I stressed over this also since I am in the 30 day return period for my unit, my I decided that I am sticking with the one I purchased. Like so many other things discussed in the forums, it comes down to personal preference. The units even appear to look the same externally. If anyone has heard about any significant differences between the units, I would like to know about them also. Thanks.

Toothsdoc

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toothsdoc
I picked up the 50PX25 about two weeks ago, and it is amazing. The retail price was not that relevant because of the discounted price I got on it. When the new model comes out, even though it will have a retail price $500 lower, retailers are less likely to discount it that much initially, so the price probably shouldn't be the deciding factor initially. The only differences I've found so far, even after calling Panasonic, is the CableCard slot, and the new tuner. I called Comcast's technical people, and they told me that they are working on their next generation of cable boxes, and do not have any plans for a CableCard right now. The resolution, SD and PCMCIA support are the same as on the 20 according to the press release and what Panasonic told me. I stressed over this also since I am in the 30 day return period for my unit, my I decided that I am sticking with the one I purchased. Like so many other things discussed in the forums, it comes down to personal preference. The units even appear to look the same externally. If anyone has heard about any significant differences between the units, I would like to know about them also. Thanks.

Toothsdoc
are you sure it's the 50PX25? the 2004 Viera???

how were you able to buy it if it isn't out until Apr 2004?

further.. if it is the true plasma.. where did ya buy it from? i wantsss teh preciousss!

:eek:

edit: pm me the place -.- so i can give them a call or visit or something

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toothsdoc
I called Comcast's technical people, and they told me that they are working on their next generation of cable boxes, and do not have any plans for a CableCard right now.

Toothsdoc
Interesting. An article on the Wireless Week Web site (add this to the Wireless Week URL to go to the exact article: article/CA373577?ticker=CMCSK&type=stockwatch) states that as a result of a September 2003 FCC ratification of plug-and-play rules for HDTV, "By July 1, 2004, cable operators will have to provide a CableCARD to any subscriber who requests one."

The article goes on to state that Comcast is planning to introduce CableCARD in St. Paul, Minn. and Portland, Ore., and will deploy in additional markets based on retail availability of cable-ready HDTV sets and customer demand.

Not sure if that means if I purchase a 50PX25 (my dream set as of today) and "demand" a CableCARD from my local Comcast that I'll get one, but ...

Tony

·
Registered
151 Posts
Toothsdoc,

You posted a few weeks ago that you purchased the 50PX20, not the 50PX25. Can you clarify which model you actually have?

[the 50PX25 is the 2004 model---likely not even released yet]

If you had a 2004 PX25, many of us might ask if it accepted 720p without converting it to 1080i and then to native--- but I suspect you have the PX20.

Keith

·
Registered
32 Posts
On this same subject, does anyone know if CableCard is supposed to provide any better reception, or is it just a different way to connect? If it is just a different way to connect and the rest of the units specs are the same, then I can cancel my Valium prescription (especially since I already hung it on the wall and tied it to the cable box and DVD player with two 25 foot lengths of component cable).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.