AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Ive been browsing these forums for over a year now. I need some help and decided to register. Hope yall can help me. IM really into HK. My dad has an older unit and it sounds awesome. Im interested in the 247 or the 347. Thing is Im also very interested in a receiver decoding the new codecs. I would love to be able to have this and show it off. The only receiver I see that can do this with my budget($500) is the awful looking 605. I have nothing against Onkyo, its just that the receivers look like they were made in the early 90s and havent changed. I want to have a presentable HT which looks modern and nice. I feel the new HK achieve this. Can yall please help to find out if the HKs Im looking at are good.

Heres the irony of all this. Ill be hooking this up to watch BDs via my PS3!!!! Im aware that the PS3 cant decode(yet) the new codecs. So this puts me in a tighter spot. Should the PS3 never be able to decode them , I have noo need for the 605, but if it would, I would be kickin myself for not waiting. Help me out here

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The PS3 can decode all next gen codecs except DTS-HDMA.

It sends to your receiver via hdmi as PCM, therefore your receive does no decoding.

The PS3 may get a future update to decode DTS-HDMA.

IF your PS3 is gonna be your bluray player, it does not matter what receiver you get. I would go with the 605 though, if you ever do need that decoding capability

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Based on the consensus in these forums, the 605 is no match for the 247. In fact, I compared the 247 to the 804 and it was still not a match in sonic quality.

Given that, there are some issues with the 247 - look into the dedicated 247/347 thread.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
If I was you I would go and take a listen before buying a receiver. Check out HK, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and others. Only use information from people who post on this website as a guide. If you don't I can guarantee that you will not be happy with your purchase!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts