AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following quite a few topics in this and other forums the past couple of weeks, and have a couple of questions. I'm getting ready to move into a new house in a few weeks and I'm debating whether or not to go with a HDTV ready 16:9 or just go with a 36" direct view for now. The biggest questions/concerns I have concerning the widescreen HDTV is as follows.

1. The quality of the non-hdtv signal, I'm currently utilizing the Dish network with a 27" tv. Also as a side note, will the reception be the same as a non-hdtv projector set?

2. I'm aware of all the questions regarding what digital standard will be implemented in the future. I have read somewhere that it will be backwards compatible but will be down sized to a lower resolution. I believe 1/4 of the original high definition signal. Will that signal be about the same as todays satellite reception or more comparable to a DVD resolution?

I guess I'm looking for some answers as well a possibly some feedback as to what ya'll would do if you had to make a decision whether or not to go for it right now or buy a traditional 36" or less than half the price and wait and see what the future holds. Thanks alot in advance.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have a Toshiba 65" 19x9 (TW65X81), a Dish 6000 set top box, and a Sony 5.1 channel sound system. My television watching is in a different world from before I purchased them. I would say go for the HDTV. Where I live I get all channels in Digital and even standard defintion digital is pretty good. Even analog stations look pretty good with the line doubler most HDTVs have. The standatd definition Dish channels vary in quality from pretty good to average but again the line doubler it the TV helps a lot. However, I have found that the four main HDTV channels (HBO HD, SHO HD, CBS, & ABC) get 75% of my eyeballs just because of their viewing pleasure.

I would buy again in an instant.

Hope this helps.

Rick R

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Rick-

I just have to say that I hope the NBC network people read comments like yours! Apparently ABC finally did. Mark Cuban and HDNet knows it. It absolutely amazes me that more broadcasting is not coming aboard w/ HD.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I agree go HD if you can get CBS and ABC out of NC. I saw a 36 Samsung digital set around $1000 at BB.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rick,

You get CBS & ABC OTA in Simi? Are you pointed at Mt. Wilson? I'm asking because I'm in Sherman Oaks, and trying to gauge my chances of good OTA reception of HD on CBS and ABC.

TIA,

Dennis

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's no doubt in my mind that the HDTV picture is far superior to anything else. I have digital cable and DTV both hooked up to my 16:9 46" Mitsubishi.

Digital cable picture quality is fairly mediocre, IMHO. DTV is pretty good and HD is excellent.

I am concerned that the standards are still a bit shaky and it really bothers me that even thought hte major networks broadcast HDTV that the programming is not always the same - many of the sports broadcasts are replaced with some lame parade or Blue Angels broadcast.

Ski

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
DennisR,

I get all 9 LA digitial channels solid except KCBS which I get 90% of the time. I am in the worst part of Simi behind a 1500' mountain. Sherman Oaks should be a piece of cake as Ken Cranes in Sherman Oaks where I bought my TV uses a Radio Shack bowtie on top of the set and gets all channels. Email me your phone number if you would like more info.

Rick R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.