AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to finally get a 16:9 HDTV ready set, but after reading some of the posts here I wonder if that is such a good idea. After considering several factors, I decided on the Toshiba 56H80, however this set does not have the digital connections that may be necessary to receive true HD programming from cable or satellite. My question is if I should hold off entirely on buying a new set.

Maybe we could get some kind of poll going.

[This message has been edited by Aseem (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have stated elsewhere on this site, and will do so here...I am waiting. I know that whatever I buy will some day be obsolete but the waters are so murky that I am waiting several months to see how things settle out. It is really hard to figure out what exactly is going on as many of the posters here are truly freaking out about their equiptment becoming immediately outdated. If you go into a store, salespeople are going to tell you, "sure, its fine. buy, buy, buy." I am not sure where reality is in all this.

Dan

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have been watching and enjoying HDTV and DVD on my Pioneer Elite set for 2 years now. The picture is great and it has been a source of great entertainment at my house. I am very pleased that I had not wated an extra minute. Even without HDTV, these sets with line doublers are a vast improvement over the old style TV's(including the previous elite models).

Don't get me wrong. I do not want this set to become antiquated, but I have enjoyed it since day one. When I walk into my entertainment center, I smile while looking at the elite as the centerpiece. I am happy I purchased this set.

One happy HDTV customer,

baimo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aseem:
I've been looking to finally get a 16:9 HDTV ready set, but after reading some of the posts here I wonder if that is such a good idea. After considering several factors, I decided on the Toshiba 56H80, however this set does not have the digital connections that may be necessary to receive true HD programming from cable or satellite. My question is if I should hold off entirely on buying a new set.

Maybe we could get some kind of poll going.

[This message has been edited by Aseem (edited 08-02-2001).]
I'm in the same boat. I'm getting tired of watching anamorphic DVDs on my little 27" 4:3 set. I've been *this close* on a ocuple of occasions to gettin one of the Toshiba 16:9 sets, but every time I think I've decided, I hear about new models coming out. So, I've been waiting.

And now, I read about all this DVI/IEEE1394/HDCP crap, and I'll probably wait a few more years until I take the 16:9 HDTV plunge. Perhaps I'll just get a 36" 4:3 set in the interim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This reminds me of home PCs in the late 80's through mid 90s. I use to build them as a hobby; ie spec the parts, have someone order them, and then I'd put them together for them. Used to do about one a week. But there were a few who would come to me every couple of months to get a system spec'd and then they'd look at how prices were dropping or the next new processor was right around the corner and they spent years not getting a computer. Did it matter? I don't think so. I really think a large part of it was how much you might enjoy "tinkering" and feeling the technology develop.

I've got a 4:3 HDTV Mitsubishi 60" downstairs, an NEC 42MP2 upstairs, and an RCA 38" F38310 on my boat with an elliptical dual lnbf dish for DirecTV (I've got echostar at home). However, I spend 90% of my time in my home office with a 6 year old 19" NEC TV. But I did all the installations myself and really enjoy configuring them. But then, being shallow and ostentatious, I need them <g>.

Best,

Steve

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my biggest concern is the time in which this will all occur. Cable companies (at least in my area) are just starting to come out with HD boxes. If they decide to put the digital connections and copy protection on the boxes immediately, that would give me one less option I could use with my brand new set. Obsolescence is inevitable in this day and age. Even for consumer electronic items, it seems to happen far more rapidly than it once did. However, I still don't want something that can literally be outdated 6 months from now - especially considering the price of the item.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm dying to buy one of the new Toshiba 16:9 sets. But what really annoys me is the coy way Toshiba and the other manufacturers are handling the issue. Toshiba customer service assures me that their HDTV's will remain "HDTV ready". Only after being confronted will they admit their sets may have those signals downconverted to SDTV. No upgrade path or other consideration for current HDTV owners is being offered.

On the other hand, I watch mostly DVD. Also, OTA HDTV signals will probably not be effected for a long time if ever. Finally, the larger the number of people who own noncompliant sets the harder it will be to force DVI/HDCP down our throats without concessions.

I think I'll just go ahead and buy one...or maybe not.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I would not worry too much about buying now. From what I have read the worst case scenario is that TV with commercials will have no change but some premium channels will be broadcast over component cables with only 500,000 pixles. This could be done by halfing the 1080 lines to 540 and halfing the 1920 horizontal to 960. This is still double a DVD's resoulution and better resolution than most of the current HDTVs are capable of.

Actually, if you compare the Dish demo channel to most of what is on HBO HD I don't think most of HBO HD is greater than 960 lines now. I wildly speculate that this may even be intentional.

Rick

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it matters, I decided on getting a 32" Sony XBR. (I know these are controversial in some parts being 4:3, and kinda small).

But in any case. I did it. My logic: Good for progressive DVD, and has some level of upgradability..

Byron

·
Registered
884 Posts
Some RPTV manufacturers like Sharp are indicating that their sets will have upgradeable software. Not sure if it will firewire or DVI, but if so, wouldn't upgradeable software solve potential future problems?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I've been waiting for the HDTV transition for about 10 years, and now that sets have finally reached the level of quality I want I'm not going to wait any longer. I've fretted quite a bit about this issue, I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge anyway because:
  • Here in Canada the HDTV movement is further behind and so there's not that much available anyway
  • I believe that there will still be a lot of unprotected HDTV content available. STB manufacturers will include component outputs for non-copy-protected material because otherwise they won't be able to sell them to the huge majority of HD set owners that need them.
  • There's plenty of utility to be had from a set through upconverted SD and DVD material. HDTV or no, it'll beat my current 20" set by a mile.
  • In 5 years when recording solutions have stabilized, I'll have a good reason to upgrade my set to something that will doubtless have a lot better display than the current generation of sets.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The more displays that have been sold to end consumers the more difficult it becomes for the powers that be to disenfranchise us. Or put another way, vote with you pocket book. If you wait the 18 months it will take before a HDCP/DTCP display hit the retail shelves you would have missed 18 months of enjoying HDTV. This next college football season, CBS will be broadcasting one game a week in HD. CBS will be doing the same thing for basketball. There will be plenty of HDTV to watch on a current set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm waiting.

I was going to buy the Toshiba 56H80 at the beginning of July. I then found out that the 57H81 would be available August 1st. I decided I would buy that instead. In fact I was so sure I would be buying it that I went out and bought a Dish 6000 with the 8VSB module and subscribed to Dish Network. While waiting for the 57H81 I found out about all of the copy protection issues.

Even though I have invested in the 6000 I will be waiting. I figure I'm out about $300 right now by getting the 6000 instead of a 500 system. I'd rather be out $300 than $3000. At any rate the DTV broadcasts look much better than the locals from Dish. I guess I'll have to watch Leno in DVD quality rather than HDTV quality for a while.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Paul,

Waiting for a set that is compatible with the copy protection systems that are being forced upon the industry by the MPAA will be a long wait. There might be new sets that incorporate the DTCP/HDCP stuff in about a year to 18 months, but you'll be missing lot's of HDTV in the meantime.

[This message has been edited by JoeFloyd (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Joe,

I only meant that while I was waiting for the few additional features of the 57H81 I found out about the copy protection issues. I realized that the 57H81 does not suport DVI or firewire and hence may become obsolete quicker than I'd like. I contacted Toshiba to find out if they would offer DVI/firewire upgrades for these TVs in the future. They said they would not. Because of this I have reluctantly decided to wait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.