Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliff,

Due to my work I only have (and will have) laptops, and therefore I need a solution via USB or something similar, to enjoy HTPC.

Does the quattro have similar quality to the 1010 or 410?

Does it work with your drivers, so that I can output 4 channels (I am not fan of centre channel and use full range loudspeakers)?

Do you have any idea of the codecs used and how they compare with others?

I have heard a lot of complaints of problems with drivers - is it solved by now?

I write this because this may be the best cost-effective high quality solution for high end audio from a Laptop.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards

José

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Jose,

I have no idea how the Quattro works. It's not a product we normally use for home theater so I've never test one. I'll ask about it next time I call M Audio.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Look up an Edirol UA-1D. It is a USB to toslink/coax device which works without going through the sound card resulting in clean digital sound. I have one connected to my laptop along with a 30foot optical cable to the preamp/decoder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, but my preamp is a tubed design - way more primitive, with no decoders at all. Any connection has to be done in the analogue domain. Therefore, performance in analogue is paramount.

I'll look into that card anyway. Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another, non-USB option would be the Echo Indigo PC Card. I don't know how it handles 5.1 audio, but it does excellent 24/96 two channel audio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.