AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents -

I have recently relocated to the Middle East where I am told the power quality is...poor to say the least. I'm told that the power is very 'dirty' with lots of irregularities and spikes/sags, especially in the Summer with the industrial AC units kicking on and off all the time.

I will be converting my 220v power from the wall to 120 with a 1500va transformer. I'm running a 60in Pio Plasma, Onkyo 607 Receiver, PS3, and a two satellite decoder boxes.

I want to purchase some sort of power conditioner or filter, but am honestly not sure which one I need. Is anyone experienced with this or able to provide a recommendation?

I have been looking at APC: here are links to their two categories of products, Filters and Conditioners.

APC Conditioners

APC Filters

Thanks!

Jason Hussey

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have had nothing but failures with APC UPS devices and will never buy another. I don't know if their power conditioner is any better but I no longer have any faith in their technical prowess. If you are already using a balanced transformer to convert your power then you may not need anything else. Otherwise you might look at the balanced power transformers/conditioners from Balanced Power Technology (which has some demos on sale at Audiogon right now) or Equitech, or regenerators from Exactpower and PS Audio. Bryston is now selling a Torus conditioner but it is very expensive. For more modest conditioning and surge protection I can say that I am very satisfied with my PS Audio Power Director 3.5, which has been discontinued but appears to have been replaced by the less expensive AV Power Center 3000 and 5000. My PD 3.5 was made in the USA but I think the newer models are made in Asia, which explains why they are cheaper and have more features. But used PD 3.5 units often sell at Audiogon for about $500 and are a good value at that price, IMO.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A power conditioner corrects any lag or surge and reregulates the output.

A power filter clamps down on surges, and eliminates voltage line noise (minor voltage sags/spikes off the carrier AC Wave) on the input side.

A power conditioner is typically a higher quality power filter as it performs the same functions as a filter, but also corrects voltage.

Panamax makes some okay units for the money.
http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-.../M5400-PM.aspx

This one is a power conditioner.

But to be honest IT MAY BE overkill since you are using what sounds like a good quality transformer with hefty output.* Most surges are controlled by the filters on the output stage. Filtering is gaurenteed if it's a regenerator (AC->DC->AC)

*An AC voltage transformer is not gaurenteed to deliver clean power, but a number do. Like everything design matters, and it depends if they filter the output stage.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphussey /forum/post/18276064

Ladies and Gents -

I have recently relocated to the Middle East where I am told the power quality is...poor to say the least. I'm told that the power is very 'dirty' with lots of irregularities and spikes/sags, especially in the Summer with the industrial AC units kicking on and off all the time.

I will be converting my 220v power from the wall to 120 with a 1500va transformer. I'm running a 60in Pio Plasma, Onkyo 607 Receiver, PS3, and a two satellite decoder boxes.

I want to purchase some sort of power conditioner or filter, but am honestly not sure which one I need. Is anyone experienced with this or able to provide a recommendation?

I have been looking at APC: here are links to their two categories of products, Filters and Conditioners.

APC Conditioners

APC Filters

Thanks!

Jason Hussey

My experience with power conditioners has always been good but it has to be from a good manufacterer. Shunyata or PSaudio is a good choice. Steer away from the ones that correct voltage. They kill Dynamics. A good device will restore the operating frequency of the network to its original form with subharmonics. In my case almost pure 60hz frequency.

Clean eletric supply is about 25% of the systems performance. Good cables to carry that clean energy also will bring good results.

But if you have the chance ask your dealer for an AB comparison with or without the device. Mine was so clear the difference that I bought it on the spot. Everything gets better. Better video blacks, color saturation sound clarity, Dynamics, background noise greatly reduced and so on.

Let your eyes and ears be the judge of which power conditioner to buy.

All the best,

Michael

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
A good device will restore the operating frequency of the network to its original form with subharmonics.

Wow, a lot of marketing speak in your post.

The power delivered is a sine wave, there are no harmonics, sub or otherwise.

The only way to correct a frequency variation is to use a motor, flywheel, generator set, or a regenerative UPS...but they usually don't output very clean sinewaves.

The alternative is to ignore marketing hype and allow the power supplies in your equipment to do what they're designed to do....rectify and filter the incoming AC to a nice clean DC...it's not a hard thing to accomplish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts