AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For someone just now considering a D-VHS, does it make sense with DVD-R and HD-TiVo and cable box DVRs coming?

I would prefer to archive to DVD and the PVR/DVR seems too good not to have. Once a Comcast DVR becomes available (this summer), would I use the D-VHS for anything but D-Theatre tapes (I would not buy many and know of no place to rent them locally)?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My thoughts are, I use the D-VHS to record stuff that I'll keep. Smart Traveler's, Music Awards, Vicotria Secret, Football game I loved, ummmm. I'll use the Tivo for time shifting. A Tivo that would offload to 1394 would be the ultimate. If I eventually find I don't use the D-VHS machine, I'm thinking the demand for D-VHS might go up when those Motorola 6200's 1394's ports are fully operational. So I can sell it for a profit on E-bay. Or have another useless machine like my laser disc player. Either way, I'm down with D-VHS.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's helpful. I just got a 6200 today with the active 1394 (and DVI). Tried to record to a Powerbook with VirtualDVHS, but that did not work. Maybe I'll spring for the JVC 40K.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I personaly am holding out for one of the high capacity dvd recording solutions.

But I am not a big archiver, got a small house with no place for all those dvhs tapes.

dave

·
Registered
480 Posts
I didn't want to wait for HD TIVO so I got the JVC 30K for $279 at one of the local big box stores that is closing them out. I love HDTV and couldn't stand not being able to time shift and skip commercials. I figure I'll wait till the price of HD tivo comes down and then EBAY the JVC.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKarras
That's helpful. I just got a 6200 today with the active 1394 (and DVI). Tried to record to a Powerbook with VirtualDVHS, but that did not work. Maybe I'll spring for the JVC 40K.
CKarras, is Comcast providing the 6200 now? I live in Delaware County and the Comcast website says that they offer the 5100. Do you know if the 6200 is being offered in specific counties only for now?

If the firewire port is active for D-VHS and remains that way, that is great news for archivers like me!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
En Sabur Nur-

The phone CSR said that a small number of 6200s have been sent out to the Comcast offices. He said just to stop by and see if they have them in. He also suggested that I'd have better luck in at the office in the less prosperous neighborhood.

I also sent an e-mail from the Comcast web site earlier asking where and how to get a 6200. Actually got a call back from another knowledgeable CSR who saw that I already had a 6200. Pretty good service, on this point. Just wish the 6x08 were in my market.

·
Registered
193 Posts
sorry to be somewhat off topic but why is it some of these motorala 6200s have active firewire ports and others dont???

I live in Chicago and the CSRs keep telling me they are indefinitely inactive and he does not know when they will be active and he isnt aware of the april 1 deadline for cable companies to activate the 1394 port. He did say it would take a simple software upgrade to convert the boxes.

So how are some areas getting these active boxes...is it some kind of freak accident?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
No, it's a firmware update. Some places already have it rolled out, some don't. To be specific, I believe it is 7.07 or higher firmware that enables it.

-MP

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just read on another thread that the JVC D-VHS machines will not change channels on the 6200 AND will not time record on the 1395/iLink connector. If that is true, it's a truly worthless device for me and I'll just continue to wait for the 6408 from Comcast.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It's true. You cannot time shift or record via firewire with the JVC. Madpoet is correct, version 7.07 firmware enabled DVI and firewire.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Post Script; my last note makes it appear you cannot record via firewire. You can & the image is as good as watching it live. You just need to be there to start & stop it unless you buy a third party timer to do it for you. The time shift capabilities on the JVC ONLY work when recording a conventional SD channel. The advantage is archiving. You will not be able to archive via the DVR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.