AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at switching from Direct to Dish and need opinions.

Reason is I think my Sony HD-100 is dieing a slow death as many transponders have 0 signal. Rather than paying to fix or buying new STB I am comtemplating switch that includes no equipment cost.

I have 3 sets only one HD and don't care about recording right now. Dish HD w/Voom looks superior to Direct that is also a plus.

I have an antenna for OTA so that doesn't come into play.

All comments welcome.

Thanks..........

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I switched from D* to E* for the cheap HD equipment and I found out that it was cheap equipment. I was never satisfied with the quality of HD receiver or the DVR that I had. After my 1 year contract was up, I switched to TWC for a month. It was worse. I've been back with D* for 4 years and couldn't be happier with my service.

-Robert

·
Registered
272 Posts
OMG... I know its my opinion, but don't do it.. I just switched from E* to D*. I had E* for two years and hated it. Has gay menus, equipment sux, and CSR's suck. I've had D* for couple of months and like the guide, and equipment better....

·
Registered
10,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon
OMG... I know its my opinion, but don't do it.. I just switched from E* to D*. I had E* for two years and hated it. Has gay menus, equipment sux, and CSR's suck. I've had D* for couple of months and like the guide, and equipment better....
That’s funny. I left D* after one year and went back to E* for all the reasons you mentioned. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Can't compare DISH to Direct, but I can tell you about DISH HD and SD vs. C Band. SD almost as good as CBand, and sometimes better. HD quality I've experienced is comparable to OTA, which you already know about. Now I'm not sitting two feet from my 50" set, more like 8 or so, and I haven't been nutty enough to really look hard for subtle problems. ESPN live OTA stuff in HD is spectacular, just like MNF. I'm happy. You should note that at least one poster here (Don Landis) that really knows his stuff and does careful comparisons that are free of the emotion that sometimes clouds the DvE discussion here thinks D equals or betters E in terms of HD quality.

The 942 has caused no problems and the image quality of recorded HD looks like the original. Used both in 2 and single mode.

A reason not to do what I've just done (move to DISH - or Direct) and what you're considering is the dreaded and longed for MPEG4 conversion. From what

I've read here, D will concentrate over the next two years on getting you what you already have OTA so that's nothing to wait for. Maybe after that, we'll see expanded HD on other channels like USA, Sci Fi, CNN, but when?

From the history of E I've read here, there's no way they'll move all the HD to MPEG4 over the next two years. So you can plunk down $250 to lease the 942 and hope they'll give you some break when the switch finally comes. If they don't, well it's been $10 a month for the benefit of having more HD than you can get from D. And you're not stuck with a $699 paperweight. Seems that in recent months, new DISH subscriptions are now equalling the larger D, in an environment that favors cable for those who can't get OTA HD. So both of them look like they'll be around for a while.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
FWIW,if your reasons are because of your HD box contact Directtv maybe they'll swap it out.I just did it.I called them & told them i was having problems with my HD box ref. fan noise and cutouts(lil lies) and also that i really didnt want to go to cable so what were they willing to do for me.They then offered to send me a new HD box and all i had to do is ship the old one back within 7 days to avoid any charges.They sent me the H10 and i'll be sending the old one back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I opted to switch for essentially the same reasons (wanted HD, didn't want to buy the HD receiver, E* was offering a promotion for a free unit). My experience was pretty lousy up front, but I largely attribute that to the retailer that sold me my E* package. They didn't tell me everything up front (relating to monthly programming fees) and gave me some outright incorrect information as well like insisting that I would receive local channels in HD via satellite (!). Que sera sera.

Anyway, the E* SD signal seems to be of somewhat poorer quality than D* but the difference is marginal. I can't make an HD comparison as I didn't have HD service with D* but the HD I am getting looks great. I am getting a bit more programming for the money, but your package might be different.

To cap the whole matter, I called D* a few days before I made the switch and told them that I was going to drop their service because I wanted HD but didn't want to lay out $400+ on a receiver. I asked what they could do to match E*'s offer of a free HD receiver. They told me they could get the price down to $200, so I switched anyway as I figured Id' get the same service for almost the same price; the deciding factor being a free receiver vs. D*'s offer of $200. After the E* install, I called D* back to cancel my account and of course they put me through to their super-special, top secret customer retention department, who proceeded to tell me that they could now offer me an HD receiver for free! They missed the boat but I had to laugh anyway.

I think the satellite guys are tossing around all these free HD receivers now because they're going to be incompatible with future technologies like MPEG-4. But, my contract with E* is only for a year and I figure it's going to take at least that long for the conversion dust to settle, and I'll switch to whoever has the best offer then. In my opinion, it's any way the wind blows since we're dealing with huge corporations that just look at me as another number anyway. Gee, that didn't sound too cynical did it?

Looking to these giant companies for good service is really the wrong way to go about it, IMO...you might be lucky and get a CSR who knows what he's talking about, then you'll say that company is great...or you might get an idiot on the phone and next thing you know, you're responding to every post about the provider with the good old 'They totally suck in every way' comments. So, to sum up, I would say go with whichever provider offers you the best deal, dollar-wise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where can I find more information about this promotion from E*? Is this for a HD DVR unit?

Baskaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellps
I opted to switch for essentially the same reasons (wanted HD, didn't want to buy the HD receiver, E* was offering a promotion for a free unit).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskaran
Where can I find more information about this promotion from E*? Is this for a HD DVR unit?

Baskaran
No, it was for a Dish 811 HD receiver, and a standard DVR recorder (that we connected to another set). They threw in 3 months of HBO and Showtime and a few other things. The promotion was through a local retailer that E* has a contract with. I just got an offer from D* in the mail today for an HD receiver for $50 after rebates. Seems like they're all trying to unload the old receivers before D* (and at some point, I'd presume E* as well) convert to MPEG-4. If you Google it, I'm sure you can find some deals.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by baskaran

Baskaran

The only HD-DVR receiver is the 942 which will cost you $250.

For free you can get a SD DVR, the 811 HD receiver and one other SD receiver (for a total of 4 rooms).

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
machman call in or ask for directv customer retention department. you are hd customer already and theire are many reports of directv giving the hr10 250 hd tivo for as little as $299 now and with added $100 rebate and other credits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.