Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am new to this forum so don't slaughter me right away.

I just bought the pioneer dv-737 dvd player and want a to buy a dlp to match its performance.

I also have a pc with a dvd player but prefer a stand-alone set-up.

I know that the 737 is a progressive scan player but also has a few problems concerning progressive scan. On http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html I read about the problems.

Still who has some experience with standalone PS dvdplayers and knows a good dlp which can play this PS dvd player.

I am thinking about spending about $5000/$6000.

What dlp can I buy and what can I expect?

Greetingz.

Simon

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Your budget will cover most if not all presentation units on the markets. You can also get a used or demo seleco/dwin dlp as well.

The seleco has the best blacks,color, features going for HT use.

We have some demo units available. If interested drop us an email on Monday for pricing.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
New meat!! Growl, growl!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Watch out for rainbow artifact on the older DLPs. Do a search here under "rainbow" and you'll get enough reading to last for several days at least. The Seleco HT200DM has new color wheel technology that pretty much eliminates it. The predecessor HT200 had less of it than many.

The biggest mistake you can make is to buy only on price. This board is full of posts from people who have gotten burned by vendors who don't have reasonable return policies and don't support their products either technically or with needed repair. Work with Alan at AVS if you can--their reputation in this business is legendary and they will stand behind anything they sell you.

Dan

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger:

The seleco has the best blacks,color, features going for HT use.

We have some demo units available. If interested drop us an email on Monday for pricing.

[/b]
Hi Alan,

I checked out the homepage of av science but couldn't find anything considering DLP or something similar.

I enjoyed the many pictures of the HT but I hope I can find some info about the product you sell and maybe some prices.

Did I overlook something?

Greetz,

Simon

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Sorry, I'm a total newbie on this stuff, but people are talking positively about the Selenco HT200 DLP projector which retails for $15,000.

Doesn't it have a resolution of only 800 x 600 on a single DLP chip? How can this even pretend to support 720p and 1080i?

Would like to hear opinions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am in a similar boat as the post from simonsscj though minus even a dvd player, basically looking to spend about 10K on a new home theater(this is short-term budget, longer-term I will have the capacity to spend more). I was thinking about allocating 5-6K on a projector, 4-5 on additional equipment (screen, receiver, dvd, speakers, etc.). Correct me if you think I am misbudgeting.

I have been poking around the AVS boards for the past month or so. I was seriously considering a Sanyo XP21 (or the boxlight MP38t). Dan, I noticed that is the projector you have (or are getting). What are the benefits/tradeoffs of this projector versus a used/demo Seleco?

A little background on room and viewer preference.

1. 15'w x 24'l x 9'h

2. Basement with no windows, diffused light from stairwell in back of theater

3. Viewing habits (60% DVD, 40% cable)

4. User background -- very PC literate but new to home theaters

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Basically, I need more light output than DLP can deliver at this point. I don't have the kind of light control you describe. Plus I am extremely sensitive to rainbow artifact.

The only problem with buying a used/demo projector, other than D-ILA, is that they are most likely to have the single RGB color wheel and thus will exibit rainbow artifact. But if you and your viewers are sensitive to this, you'd be hard put to beat an HT200 and I've seen some great prices on this lately. You should talk to Alan at AVS, he may have one you can try out.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys, you're filling his brain up with techno-babble.

Rainbows,contrast ratios etc.

You're more likely to scare him away if he is not that sort.

He mentioned "good dlp?"

Isn't this a contradiction in terms,like Army Intelligence.

What's wrong with an LCD (10HT) OK, I'm prejudice.

I wouldn't swap resolution for higher contrast in a dying fit. It's like playing Quake in 640x480.

There's buckets of low res 4x3 dlp's selling on the market which look crap, let's be honest. (not that we bulls**t the rest of the time),Is it because they are a cheap first proj to the unfussy, or are they really not that bad and it's just my opinion?

Can we quantify a good picture by prioritising the criteria? If so, where would we place resolution and where would we place Contrast Ratio?

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.