Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm buying a Sony XBR KD-34XBR960 HDTV and I'm trying to figure out the best solution for watching films.

I mainly watch R2 Japanese animation dvds and some R1 live-action dvds. Most of the R2 stuff I watch is really really badly interlaced.

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy an upscaling dvd player from some place that would sell it modded so it would be region-selectable, or if I should do HTPC from my PC which is region-selectable? Budget is under $300.

--Should I go for the upscaling player (can you even get a good modded one for

·
Registered
766 Posts
If the computer you are using has a DVD-ROM, try connecting it to your display device and see if you like the image quality of the movies you are refering to. If so, dive into the HTPC project.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You already have a good enough card for what you want to do.

As long as you don't want to mess with post-processing with FFDSHOW most processors are going to be fine with DVDs (you didn't post PC specs).

As far as cost goes, the DVI->Component adapter is about $25 and a Chaintech AV710 soundcard (for the optical out to receiver) is about $25 and you can get those both from Newegg.

Thats about all you need to do some expirementing before you decide to go full bore with PVR, HD, FFDSHOW, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.