AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know! I know!

The general rule of thumb is to not mix. But I wanted to dive a bit deeper into the subject with the Black Friday deals going on at the moment. I currently have a sealed 18" A7s-450 Elemental Design sub in a 26 x 16 room. It's got a monster amp in it, sealed enclosure.I'm considering going duals.

Elemental Designs has an A5-350 shipped for $699 and a 15" driver. Frequency response goes down to 18hz.

Given I am primarily HT my questions are -

How do you think these two subs would integrate together in my HT?

Are the differences insignificant enough between the two subs that it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to get the two to place nicely together?

I considered just adding another A7s-450 instead, but seems like this is a good sub that goes a bit lower and not as pricey and could be a good compliment to my existing setup. Could always tune this sub for the lower and, and my A7s-450 on the upper end. But really wanted feedback from some of you pros if this was a good move or not or if it's best to add another A7s when I can afford it.

Obviously done in in the sub department after going either route. ;-)

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Don't mix! Get a second 450.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have an Epik Tower (analagous to eD A5-350) and an Epik Empire (sealed) as well. It was a task finding the right spot to blend the Empire into my system as I felt the ported sub overpowered it at times. I've played with all types of positioning (both corners, Empire at the side of the LP, both colocated upfront, stacked etc etc.) But after gain matching them, the key step I did not perform (center of room, register same spl value from fixed rat shack distance for each sub using receiver test tone), I have them both co-located up front, equal distance from their respective corner and they sound best I've heard since I got them together. I haven't measured delay but they just sound uniformed and cohesive. Point is, it takes a bit more tweeking. But I am enjoying the results.

I should mention, when I first got the Empire, I did the crawl to find the best spot for it, place the Empire there, and level matched it at the LP (same with the Epik Tower) before runing my receiver's calibration. On some material it sounded uneven and repeated the process for the other positions I mentioned. In my room, gain matching provided the best results (by ear) yet. My next purchase wil be a .2 receiver upgrade with Multixt32 sub eq build in.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You should call the folks at ED and get their thoughts. I'd expect them to be both honest and helpful.

I have two passive radiator subs (the AE1512 kits) and an Empire and think they sound great together. I think generally matching subs is the way to go, but its not a hard and fast rule.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I'm currently using an Ultra, but have a Velodyne HGS-18 (sealed) sitting in a spare bedroom collecting dust. Dying to try to integrate the two since that sub isn't exactly weak.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv
Ported and PR are two different subs.
Sealed and PR are different also. Just saying if you're considering multiples they don't have to be the same sub, or even the same basic design.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
What if you have 4 MFW's and 2 cylinder SVS (ported) 25-31's? I'm wanting 1 more sub and have my heart set on either an 18.1 or an A7S-450. More than likely the 18.1.

Or would I be better off just adding 2 more MFW's?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grits /forum/post/19554297

What are you planning to use to integrate additional subs into your system? DCX, etc or simply a y splitter?

Me? Right now I've got all 6 subs just hooked via a few Y adapters, I'd like to EQ everything once I feel I have NOT reached maxed out desirable output. As it is right now, all 6 subs have absolutely no more headroom. If I were to turn any of them up just the slightest bit, they'd start to bottom out. I feel like I need 1 or 2 more good subs. Once I get this extra sub or 2 I was then going to pursue an EQ system. I'm contemplating getting 2 more MFW's but they are hard to find for a decent price. Seems like in the last month or so, since there have been amp solutions to be had, there are no more good prices on MFW's to be had.
Especially if you also consider that almost everyone that's tried selling theirs, will only sell it local. I'm really interested in hearing the difference in what an 18 inch driver can do, thus the desire for an 18.1. Going from having various 12 incher's for years, stepping up to a 15 incher in the MFW really made me smile.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/19555269

How are all these 6 subs placed around the room....? And how far are they from the LP ? All equidistant or spread around the room... ?

They are all equidistant, and spread around the room. I took some quick pics. The camera sucks though so I did the best I could. They are all about the exact same distance from main LP, which is about 12 feet around. I really like the way this setup looks because everything is basically symmetrically perfectly setup. It all looks and is the exact same distance for all the speakers and subs. Which is basically around 11-13 feet to everything.

Here's the pics...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Basically I'm considering the 18.1 because you can get it passive. Which gives me lots of placement options. My first choice for where I'd put it is directly underneath the pool table on the left hand side of the seating area. I'd drill a hole in the floor for the speaker cable. I think this could work really well because as it is now, I have the 2 MFW's on the right side by the fireplace. And then the other 2 MFW's on either side of the tv. Plus those 2 MFW's both have an SVS cylinder on each of them, giving it a nice clean look. If the 18.1 were underneath the pooltable it'd be out of sight for the most part. Plus it would give the seating area more of a surround effect, as that area would now be exposed to bass output from all sides of the area except for behind it. If that didn't end up working, then I could always try and put the 18.1 over by the 2 MFW's by the fireplace. I could either just stack it on 1 of those MFW's, which I'd rather not do, but it is an option. OTherwise ideally I'd like to put it in that vacant spot on the other side of that blue doggy bed by the fireplace. Or better yet, I could just buy 2 of those 18.1's and put them in the spots I just mentioned.
If I did just add another 2 MFW's, they would be black, and I could just stack them on the other 2 black MFW's. If I did go this route, I've always wondered how it would sound if I took those 2 SVS cylinder subs, and stacked them on top of each other and put them into that corner where that free standing light is at.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger /forum/post/19549866

I know! I know!

The general rule of thumb is to not mix. But I wanted to dive a bit deeper into the subject with the Black Friday deals going on at the moment. I currently have a sealed 18" A7s-450 Elemental Design sub in a 26 x 16 room. It's got a monster amp in it, sealed enclosure.I'm considering going duals.

Elemental Designs has an A5-350 shipped for $699 and a 15" driver. Frequency response goes down to 18hz.

Given I am primarily HT my questions are -

How do you think these two subs would integrate together in my HT?

Are the differences insignificant enough between the two subs that it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to get the two to place nicely together?

I considered just adding another A7s-450 instead, but seems like this is a good sub that goes a bit lower and not as pricey and could be a good compliment to my existing setup. Could always tune this sub for the lower and, and my A7s-450 on the upper end. But really wanted feedback from some of you pros if this was a good move or not or if it's best to add another A7s when I can afford it.

Obviously done in in the sub department after going either route. ;-)

Eiger

This is the same question I posted after I purchased my A7-350...I wanted another sub and had my eye on an A7s-650. I was told NO, dont' do it. Other's said IT can work. Both Alex and Brett said it can work, but might take a lot of tweaking to get them to place nice. After it was all said and done, I went with a similar sub...an A7-450 and I STILL had a tuff time getting the 2 to play together (it's my room). Just expect to do some moving, testing, etc.

IMO, measuring capabilities are a must.

Here is something else to consider....If you are really HAPPY with your present sub, I would get the same sub and not let a sale determine which sub to buy. If you feel like you are missing something, rather than "chase" that missing something, sell your A7s-450 and find a different sub. JMO......Good luck Eiger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts