AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've seen several threads in the past few days concerning distribution of Video over RG6. There seems to be two camps: Use modulators or Don't use modulators.

I had planned on using a ChannelPlus MTS Modulator with the 3x8 Bidirectional distribution panel for my home. I haven't heard anything from many many people that I've talked with in the past about poor signal performance when using Modulators. But some recent posts seem to suggest otherwise.

Would anyone/everyone please voice your opinion in this thread as this is a large part of any structurely wired home. Please include actual testimonial as to the units that you have either success or problems with. If you disagree with one side, please provide an alternative, including equipment specs and relative costs for whole house video.

Thanks for all the information and input in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
21,387 Posts
I use Channel Vision 3 input modulators and Channel Plus 550BID amps (and dont forget a low pass filter) to send DSS, and surveilance throughout the house- I get very good results and it works nicely-- The DSS is a Sony HD-100 using RF remote- I use a Terk FM antenna (via splitter) for the remote control signal antenna- it works throughout a large house

I have separate DSS units in my den for HD, but the modulators do an excellent job of distributing a reasonably good signal to any TV in the house

·
Registered
151 Posts
1 tip is if you get a bad picture try a different channel

I almost gave up on mine ....almost unwatchable and tried channels 91 & 94 as a last resort ... and perfect!

Don't know why the others ones didn't work (I have the filter installed etc...) but they didn't

good luck!

·
Registered
27,015 Posts
My installer says that video distribution (DVD, DSS, etc.) cuts 25% of resolution (or lines of resolution). That seems true on my direct comparisons. I have been living with a modulated system for three years and it isn't bad at all.

If you compare the modulated channel directly to the non-modulated same channel, the difference is not small. Point is, don't compare and you won't be too disappointed.

If you want the best, don't modulate but for the vast majority it does fine.

My system is Channel plus (DVD ch 94, DSS ch90, LD ch 87).

It is an inexpensive way to distribute.

My new remodel, however, I am sending all video signals full strength sans the modulation.

Jeff

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can obtain very respectable pix quality with a decent modulator. It is important to use quality RG-6 cable, properly crimped RG-6 fittings, at least 1 gHz splitters. Use CP or CV splitter/combiners. It is also important that you have a signal from one side of the splitter/combiner to the other of no more then 5 dB. It is often helpful to check this with a signal level meter such as the Sencore SL 754D. I'm not telling anyone that they have to run out and buy a $1300.00 meter, but if you have a problem, its the best and fastest way to resolve the situation. If one side of the splitter/combiner signal is too high, you can resolve this by using an attenuator with the appropriate amount of dB deattenuation. If one side of the splitter/combiner is too low, it can be boosted appropriately with the use of a 1 gHz amplifier. There are some modulators which have built in levels of amplification. As someone else mentioned on this thread, there are some upper cable channels such as 94- 98 that will not work with a modulator, or you may need a CP or CV notch filter.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
My installer says that video distribution (DVD, DSS, etc.) cuts 25% of resolution (or lines of resolution). That seems true on my direct comparisons. I have been living with a modulated system for three years and it isn't bad at all.

Jeff
Only if the video system is not equalized properly. But I would agree in a home system because equlization is not typically used here. Another problem with direct video is GROUND LOOPS. These cause hum in the audio and bands to craw up the picture. This is aggrivated when remote devices have three wire plugs or have an additoional ground path such as a CATV or computer sound card connection. Again these problems can be fixed with professional grade hardware but this is out of the price range of even high end home systems.

I would go with RF on all secondary TVs unless they are in prime viewing areas. Example the bedroom TV may want the higher quality of direct video IF THE CABEL RUN IS less than 50 feet. Otherwise RF winns out because even at lower initial quality, it can go much further without additional degredation. The longer the direct video run, the more loss you have in a very linear manner.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I use Channel Plus modulators for whole house DSS distruibution for many of my customers. I have one house with 41 drops, and have a very happy customer. If you have more than 4 drops, make sure that you are using Channel Plus splitters or taps, and go with a high quality distribution amp, not a Radio Shlock brand.:cool:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Economic feasability should come into play also, if you're going to spend $1000 on a modulator, materials and labor to get your $200 DVD player to play in the bedroom 60' away, then you don't need modulation, you need another DVD player. Modulation depends on the application, but as everyone's mentioned above, when it's properly balanced and hooked-up it should perform quite well for non-critical viewing areas like secondary bedrooms and guest rooms. For CCTV then you definitely will want a modulator.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have 3 modulators and 23 drops in my house without problems. When you setup your modulators, try to pick a channel such that you have an unused channel on either side (if possible).

·
Registered
27,015 Posts
All and all, modulators are a good inexpensive way to run video.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I've got two Channelplus systems in my homes. I can't say enough good things about them! I did try other brands and wasn't happy, finally ending up with ChannelPlus. It wasn't cheap but well worth it. I'm currenly distributing DSS on 60, VCR on 62, ReplayTV on 66, and a 300+ disc DVD Changer on 68. All are MTS Stereo capable except the VCR one. I also have an extra modulator for future use. The modulators are by far the most expensive piece. I can't tell a difference in resolution on my Wega 27" tvs. I'll have to through Avia or VE in this week and run the resolution test. Its nice to be able to watch Toy Story on any tv in the house whenever my kids want to.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Is anyone here modulating with Digital Cable or DSS as their primary signal? I still haven't decided yet which I'll have for our new house, but I have been researching the ChannelPlus systems quite a bit. I have seen the need for a low-pass filter.

How are you using a low-pass filter and modulating, when the digital cable or DSS channels are going up into the 200's? DO you just hope there not any channel you wanna watch at 90-96 or something like that? And then how does the low-pass filter affect the higher chennels?

Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amheck

[BHow are you using a low-pass filter and modulating, when the digital cable or DSS channels are going up into the 200's? DO you just hope there not any channel you wanna watch at 90-96 or something like that? And then how does the low-pass filter affect the higher chennels? [/b]
I'll stick my head in here. Sat, and AFAIK, most "digital" cable systems don't broadcast in full UHV. The Set Top Box picks the channel through some (often proprietary) method, and sends a single stream to a TV via one of (usually) three methods, S-Video, Composite Video, VHF over coax. When the latter option is used, whatever channel you tune to on the IRD (Set Top Box) is always sent on Channel 3/4, just like the Atari 2600:) Hence (and I'm guessing a little bit here), channel 3 could always be live Cable/Sat (unmodulated), Channel 60 could always be DVD, and Channel 61 could be the PVR. Of course, you'd get a better picture and have fewer cabling issues if you ran Composite or S Video from the IRD to the TV.....

Daniel M. Pomerantz

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Daniel,

Thanks for the answer. Man, for all the research I've done, I sure wasn't thinking. The modulated channel is the channel on the TV, not the channel on the cable box. Got ya. Makes sense now.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Amheck, I'm modulating DSS onto channel 60. I also have basic cable on the wire too. You could do the same with Digital Cable by modulating the Dig. Cable box onto a channel.

markrubin, keep in mind you need at least one channel between channels. 60, 62, 64 etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.