AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in wall klipsch speakers with paintable frills in our family room. We are about to paint. I think we should paint them to match the wall. My wife thinks we should leave them white....

Advice?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Paint them the color of the walls. Looks way better than leaving them white.

Victor

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
+1

Paint those suckers. Will look much better than the white.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure if you've painted grills before, but there are a couple really good threads on the subject here. IIRC, the most important thing is to take the white paint that usually comes with them, off first. Then repaint from scratch. There is also another method to not clog the holes.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-noob /forum/post/18261620

Not sure if you've painted grills before, but there are a couple really good threads on the subject here. IIRC, the most important thing is to take the white paint that usually comes with them, off first. Then repaint from scratch. There is also another method to not clog the holes.

Got any links? I have 4 that need to be painted. I read that you need to thin the paint out a lot and blow air on them so the holes don't clog.

I think white speakers look fine depending on the decor. My ceiling is black and my walls are gray so I painted the trim on them gray, and plan on painting the grills black. The speakers behind are black and I like the way it looks which is what gave me the idea. Things like this can always be painted so if you dont like the way it turns out just change it.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
take pics of the process to help others

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am having a guy paint my house...He said he has done it before and uses an air brush to paint the grills? I will take before and after pics and also get the details when he is finished.

Thanks. I definitely thought painting them was the way to go.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
what colours are you paiting your houes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a funny question...

Well My wife had an interior designer pick out the colors. They have some fancy names, but they are basically earth tones for the Family room, living room and kitchen. (Brownish, lighter brown and tan.) I think Pictures would be best.

We are getting it painted sometime during the week of March 22. I'll check back with updates.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
thanks i have all white walls and looking for colors too - i have green blinds though so that is disturbing for color choices heeh

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax /forum/post/18263259

Got any links? I have 4 that need to be painted. I read that you need to thin the paint out a lot and blow air on them so the holes don't clog.

Sorry, I don't. I remember reading them 6 months or more back. Yes, I also recall the thinning of the paint.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
i whole heartedly agree you are neither a noob, nor an expert

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax /forum/post/18263259

Got any links?

Here's one: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1161089

I did all of my in-walls and in-ceilings using the same method. With grills removed, I used a sponge roller with standard latex wall paint.

You want your roller to be just barely tacky with paint. Apply very light pressure when rolling the grills. Probably will take at least 2 coats.

I should mention that, in my case, I was painting my speakers either off-white or light gray. I imagine it's a little easier to go from factory white to the colors I used, as opposed to a dark green for example. I still think the same process can work for a dark color though, you may just need to do the back of the grill as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts