Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been bitten by the HT bug several years ago and Im now pretty happy with my audio setup (not very high end but works in my apartment):

Denon 2800

Toshiba 4800

Polk speakers

Velodyne sub

other assorted equip - irrelevant

7 year old Mitsu 35" TV

RCA direct tv stb

Considering the panny 42? edtv to replace my mitsu

My typical TV watching used to be some Sat (directtv) with some dvd's on the weekend but since my son was born its almost all direct tv .

From reading this board for a few weeks now it seems that the prevailing opinion is that unless you watch mostly dvds or have a source of HD programming - plasma is a waste.

Do you, board member, agree or disagree with that statement?

I live in NYC and there are some OTA HDTV programming I could get but the available programming is limited and not exciting

Thanks.

·
23,032 Posts
Given that at least 90% of the posters here own plasmas, I doubt anyone

if going to say "plasma is a waste". :)

Some people "tolerate" the less than spectacular PQ of SD programming,

especially DirectTV, because of the awesome PQ of DVDs and HDTV.

You have to make that decision for yourself. Make sure you audition

the plasma with all types of input (DVD, HDTV, cable, etc) if possible.

Also, moving up in size, regardless of the technology, will make any flaws

in the programming more readily apparent.

good luck

larry

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi,

I live in central new jersey, have kids, and watch primarily direct tv (SD, haven't upgraded dish or stb). My panny 42" sd , which i purchased in december, provides excellent pq . I think you may have the feeling from reading some of the posts here that sd satellite pq is horrible. Most of the folks who see my set up are very impressed with the quality of the picture- very bright and vibrant, if I do say so myself.

There is no doubt that DVD's are just incredible, and better than sd satellite, but so what if satellite is very good to excellent. Get the plasma you are thinking of, you wont be sorry.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i think pq from standard cable tv through a line scaler to the plasma is excellent. some channels are better than others as well as some programs on some channels are better than others.

DVD and cable HDTV is above the pq of the standard channels but the pq is still quite nice on the plasma.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan,

do you watch directtv in 'streched' mode to avoid burn in on the sides and if so, how is the pq in that mode - takes getting used to, no?

or are you not concerned with burn in?

thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I too have just recently purchased a plasma and find the viewing experience better than my old CRT (sony 27" trinitron) in all aplications....I watch standard 4:3 programming in just (maybe equivelent to stretch mode on some models) and find it to be great...i would recomend a plasma television (and do) to anyone considering a television upgrade

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi,

I watch direct tv in the "just" mode on my panny. The screen is typically completely filled. Burn in has not been an issue for me.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I will also add that most people in here are REALLY looking for flaws, and are REALLY picky about PQ (based on the "WOW" I get from friends, vs the "sattelite is OK" comments in here....

Our viewing is about 40% Dish and 60% DVD.....hopefully some HD soon, but until then I am enjoying every minute over my old 27" bulky tube set.

Setup is key. I found a better picture on dish over composite cables. No matter what should be "better" the PQ is better that way so I set it up that way...... I think sometimes people don't try different setups before deciding on what looks best.

Even my daughters "The Wiggles" looks amazing on the Disney Channel!! lol

The plasma really shines when we get to turn off the lights, pop some corn, and pop in a new DVD....it is BETTER than ANY theater!!:)

I watch all 4:3 stuff in "just" mode on the panny. The panny seems to handle SD stuff very well. Actually I am so used to the JUST mode now that if I see 4:3 stuff as actual 4:3 on my Panny the people look "too skinny":D The just mode looks normal to me now!

Actually the JUST mode really does not widen out the picture a whle lot...it looks really good and took less than a night to get used to....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Also, keep in mind your veiwing habit might change, it did for me:

Before plasma: 75% sattelite, 20% DVD, 5% VHS

After plasma: 30% sattelite, 70% DVD, 0% VHS, new netflix customer

·
Registered
202 Posts
1) Several of us thought watching SD in 16:9 'stretched mode' would not be unacceptable. But I really don't notice it. Just don't watch the news in a mode that cuts off the bottom of the screen since modern news shows have the "ticker" at the bottom.

Example thread: Watching 4x3 in stretch mode?

2) Except for extreme cases , there have been no reports of burn-in on modern plasmas in this forum. Believe me, it gets discussed ad nauseum . (We do so worry about our toys. ;) )

There is even a burn-in FAQ: Burn-in: How concerned should you be?

3) HD material broadcast material is not that hard to come by. May I suggest you visit the HDTV Forums ?

4) I would really like to see the threads where you found "... the prevailing opinion is that unless you watch mostly dvds or have a source of HD programming - plasma is a waste."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
4) I would really like to see the threads where you found "... the prevailing opinion is that unless you watch mostly dvds or have a source of HD programming - plasma is a waste."
One example : I came across a thread a few days ago about a person w/o a DVD player who had a question about his plasma. I cannot find it now - the search on this forum isnt very good. Basically, some replies made that stmt maybe not in so many words...

There are other. But in general this is what I precieve as the general opinion here ...

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Of course if you don't watch many dvds now, you may find youself watching them more post-plasma....and going to the theater less...

:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Of course, this all ignores the plasma's real appeal, ... the reason our signficant others allowed us to buy a plasma in the first place, ...

...that thin monitor looks much better with the interior decorating.

;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sixsevans
Of course, this all ignores the plasma's real appeal, ... the reason our signficant others allowed us to buy a plasma in the first place, ...

;)
LOL !

--

Argh: Price, PQ, Aesthetics/Weight, can't have 'em all !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sixsevans

;)
No laughter from me... I view that as a major offsetting price advantage: I can display a plasma "out in the open" without spousal objections, whereas a regular direct-view TV or RPTV would have to be "hidden when not in use".

The cost differential between a simple console table for beneath the plasma, versus a wall-spanning entertainment center, is really quite significant. And that is one of the driving factors pushing me in the direction of buying a plasma this summer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Gitzlaff

The cost differential between a simple console table for beneath the plasma, versus a wall-spanning entertainment center, is really quite significant. And that is one of the driving factors pushing me in the direction of buying a plasma this summer.
It can work the other way though. Our last house already had a beautiful built-in entertainment unit. It house my 36 inch WEGA and Paradigm speakers. When we moved into the new house, there was absolutely no way the tv was going to fit. My wife twisted my arm (ow, that hurts, not so hard) into considering a plasma. The only conceivable place was over the fireplace.

Cost to date:

Plasma - say over 5,000.

In wall speakers (and new surrounds, of course) 1,000

Lowering and rebuilding the mantle / hearth $800

Built in cabinet for niche next to fireplace $1,200

Plumber (move two water lines, move fireplace gas starter) $400

Electrician (you can't have unsightly power cords!) $250

Materials to build false wall to make it look cool:cool: $100

Redo crown molding around top of false wall $200

Drywall and paint (had to be done anyway) $500

- Sold tv and speakers $1250

This is the first time I've added it all up. I have always pretended the decorating parts were part of my wife's expenses, not mine.

$8200

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
... the satisfaction of owning a plasma ....

Priceless.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to admit that Im considering the plasma mainly for the 'coolness' factor and the fact that It would give me about 6-7 square feet in my living room (NYC aparetment). My 35" mitsu is in great shape - if it wasnt, plasma would be a no brainer.

Seems like if I do go the plasma route, Ill have to invest in an OTA tuner to get some locals and an HDTV direct tv stb to get a few more HDTV channels which means around $1200 or so total. Or sign up with netflix....

I think I might wait till those panny units w/built in tuners and more inputs come out later this year.

thanks for all the replies, this board it truly great!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.