AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Radiohsack 190x and Silversensor antenna. Im going to try and use a preamp to get the Silversensor optimized. (For some reason a Radioshack Indoor got me CBS-HD in a test.....but I returned it for the much ballyhooed Silversensor which doesn't't seem to get CBS HD)

I'm also considering using a Preamp on my Attic mounted 190x antenna which got a snowy Ch 8 (ABC Ct), which I hear should then get me that station's (WTNH) Ch 10 HD.

I'm actually considering a "Cut" antenna to get me Ch 10 VHF just for this purpose. Anyone tried a "cut" antenna for a specific range? This would allow me to use a much smaller highband VHF in my attic and I can return that very big 190x that is only really there for this test on Ch 10.

I would appreciate your feedback and advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
What's the question again? Oh yeah. The cut antenna would defintely be a nicer fit in the attic. What sort of distance are you looking at for channel 10. Do you have any local VHF stations. Are you going to amp VHF only, or VHF/UHF. Any chance of getting the new one up on the roof. If you can avoid the preamp, it's worth your while. I"d try the new antenna without the preamp, and see how it works, and only go the preamp route if it's necessary.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Be careful how you interpret what you read here in the forums, while the silver sensor is a good indoor antenna in a field of very bad products it is not a replacement for a large directional outdoor type antenna, and the SS is not a VHF antenna. Now on with your reception issues, channel 10 is high band VHF, if you do not have any channels below 7 than try to look at a high band VHF antenna. The high band VHF antennas are not nearly as large as the all band VHF or UHF VHF combo antennas, a 5 to 6 foot antenna can offer a great deal of gain in a decent size package. I was going to and may still order some of these from Televes, they said I must buy 5 as they are special order, but 5 will still only cost around 100 dollars with shipping, they are about 5 feet long and very light weight with 10 db gain and a respectable 29db f/b ratio. http://www.televes.es/ingles/producto/ficha.asp?COD=227

·
Registered
132 Posts
wtped

Not sure of your location, but read in a recent thread, and saw on various channel lists, that some CT station will soon be on 12 for DTV. So, suggest you go for high band 7 - 12 rather than one for 10 only. Wingard has two choices, one about 48 inches and another about 100 inches that may fit the need.

dynamohum1

Have you gotten some feedback on the Televes VHF antennas? May be interested in joining purchase.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have, and I think I will wait until after the holidays to purchase. I am now leaning toward the 9db gain model that is only 30 inches long and looks to weigh about a pound. That little antenna may be just the ticket for folks with 1 or 2 stations in the 7-13 range and the rest in UHF, a small lightweight add on with decent gain for 1 or 2 channels would be easy to install and unobtrusive. For low band it is going to be tougher given the physics involved as far as element size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.