AVS Forum banner

Buy now or wait?

  • Get the 111FD now

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until the 10G arrives (assumed late 2009)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I can't decide, so I'd like some of your input.


I hear that the 10G's aren't going to show up until late late 2009. The 111FD is priced quite nicely right now so I'm really considering picking one up. If the jump in tech is going to be almost undiscernable then I'd probably just pick up the 111FD right now. Anyone have a decently based opinion?


In a nutshell: I'd happily wait for viewably superior technology. But if not, I'd love to have a nice TV now instead of waiting a year (or maybe more).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychot|K /forum/post/15462664


...I can't decide, so I'd like some of your input.


I hear that the 10G's aren't going to show up until late late 2009. The 111FD is priced quite nicely right now so I'm really considering picking one up. If the jump in tech is going to be almost undiscernable then I'd probably just pick up the 111FD right now. Anyone have a decently based opinion?


In a nutshell: I'd happily wait for viewably superior technology. But if not, I'd love to have a nice TV now instead of waiting a year (or maybe more).

I say get it now. This way you'll have it for almost a year before the new Pioneers are out and hard to believe any set coming out will be that much better and like you said there are some good deals to be had on that set right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Get it now. You can be enjoying the fantastic PQ right away. The display is so good that there are few areas left to see an improvement at all, let alone anything drastic.


I would bet it will still be a top-of-class display (say top 5 percent of sets out there) in a few years, which is pretty unheard of in the CE industry.


Incremental improvements over the current 9Gs aside, new generations of plasmas will bring thinner panels galore. If that is something that you must have then maybe it is worth a wait. But I would tell anyone who waits 9 months to buy merely to shave an inch off their already plenty 'flat' panel that they are nuts.


Bottom line, if you are wanting a tv now, there is absolutely no reason to wait. The current elites are that good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercc /forum/post/15463198


Get it now. You can be enjoying the fantastic PQ right away. The display is so good that there are few areas left to see an improvement at all, let alone anything drastic.


I would bet it will still be a top-of-class display (say top 5 percent of sets out there) in a few years, which is pretty unheard of in the CE industry.


Incremental improvements over the current 9Gs aside, new generations of plasmas will bring thinner panels galore. If that is something that you must have then maybe it is worth a wait. But I would tell anyone who waits 9 months to buy merely to shave an inch off their already plenty 'flat' panel that they are nuts.


Bottom line, if you are wanting a tv now, there is absolutely no reason to wait. The current elites are that good.

I concur 150% with the distinguished gentleman above.


It is extremely difficult for me to believe that the "improvements" in pic quality will warrant either the wait or the extra cost.


buy away. Let's jump together!


james
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
They can't get much better, just more efficient really with the added brightness.

I say buy now without a doubt.

Not to mention it will be almost a year until these hit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,583 Posts
I'm the only one who voted wait for the 10g! lol! Well, that's what I'm doing anyways!


Definately since CES is so close I would at least wait until then. You should hear something more about release dates and improvements then. I'm hoping the ECC will be out...that's what I'm wanting!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
It will be at least a full year until those hit would be my guess.



OP...do you have a good display to hold you over until then? Or will you be suffering the whole time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/15463355


It will be at least a full year until those hit would be my guess.



OP...do you have a good display to hold you over until then? Or will you be suffering the whole time?

Suffering the whole time


Truth-be-told, I'm actually TV-less.


I HAD an XBR960 that died on me back in April.


So right now I just have my PS3 hooked up to my computer monitor, and it SUCKS!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Things to think about:


1. Wait until CES - Perhaps a competitor will offer a larger TV with comparable PQ for the same price (eg: 58 or 60 inches).

2. Global Recession - Some believe prices will drop and any supposed price increase won't last. (parts/labor to get cheaper).

3. If you're asking this question in the first place, then you have doubts. Consider how high those doubts are.


Personally, I think you should wait for the CES. Pioneer may surprise you with an earlier 10g release or something.


Edit: Hmm.. I see you're running off a monitor. I found a cheap 4280 to hold me back in my time of crisis and it's still doing great with the PS3/blu-ray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychot|K /forum/post/15463495


Suffering the whole time


Truth-be-told, I'm actually TV-less.


I HAD an XBR960 that died on me back in April.


So right now I just have my PS3 hooked up to my computer monitor, and it SUCKS!!!

Then I see NO reason not to buy the amazing 111 if it is within your means.

Option B to me would be to buy a sammy or panny entry level 50", pocket the couple grand until 10g's or ECC's come out.

Believe it or not a Panny pz80u wont be aweful compared to your xbr860(I have a 34xbr960) and definitely good enough to enjoy while you wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
WELL THE LAST TIME I BOUGHT A SET, MY PANNY 9UK, PIONEER DROPPED THE BOMB WITH THE KURO ANNOUNCEMENT. I LEARNED MY LESSON AND WILL WAIT TO SEE IF PIONEER WILL INDEED RELEASE THE EXTREME CONTRAST PLASMA OR IF 50"+ oled'S will be available sometime late 09, early 10. my 9uk is more than enough to hold me off for whatever tv i pursue. just want to make sure i get it right this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral /forum/post/15462668


Wait until CES. Just a few more days now.

My only concern is that; Sure, we'll find out some ideas on pricing... but PQ is impossible to judge on the show floor, not to mention that whatever release date they set will probably be pushed back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,962 Posts
Personally, I don't even want to ponder what a 50+" OLED will cost in 18 months (if a consumer display of that size is even available at all).



I think people drastically over-estimate the availability of these units, especially considering that LED back-lit LCD's have barely come off the ground.


If I were betting, I would guess LED's will need another 2 model years at least before mere mortals can afford them.


My $.02

James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychot|K /forum/post/15464318


My only concern is that; Sure, we'll find out some ideas on pricing... but PQ is impossible to judge on the show floor, not to mention that whatever release date they set will probably be pushed back.

How true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,962 Posts
As others have said, firstly, I am just very uncertain how much further this tech can be pushed. Secondly, if and when it is, will those surely marginal gains in PQ warrant a likely significant jump in price in addition to an extended wait?


Nothing I've even heard rumored makes me inclined to believe they will.


Time will tell, I guess.


James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/15464443


As others have said, firstly, I am just very uncertain how much further this tech can be pushed. Secondly, if and when it is, will those surely marginal gains in PQ warrant a likely significant jump in price in addition to an extended wait?


Nothing I've even heard rumored makes me inclined to believe they will.


Time will tell, I guess.


James

Very insightful


I guess the only reason I'm even considering waiting is the promise of those 'pure black' ECC Kuros.


Then again, the logical side of my brain tells me: If light measurement devices can't even give a reading on current Kuros, will my eyes be able to notice the difference between 9 and 10g models? Not to mention in an ideal viewing environment (non-pitch black room).
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Top