AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading this forum almost daily since mid December when I bought a Panny 50lc13. My husband and I being new to RPTV were quite disappointed with the PQ of SDTV. Only after reading this forum did we realize that this is standard on hi-end TVs with SDTV. OK, we can live with that. However, we cannot live with the Panny's notorious Red Push.

So, we went back to CC where we bought the Panny and had the rep put both the Panny and the Sony on analog so we can compare them. The Sony looked considerably better on both SDTV and HDTV. The flesh tones were more 'real.' We decided to order a Sony 50we610 that night. Or course, as we all know, there are backordered for the "buzz" issue.

Since we had time to kill, we figured we'd tweak the red push on the Panny. I ordered the service manual for the Panny only to find out that there is no information on what the codes mean. I've perused the web looking for tweaks, which to date, do not seem to exist for this specific set.

On January 16th CC called us that our set was in. We were number 75+ on the waiting list. We told them to check to see if it was a January build date. They can't open the box but we can. (don't ask, it's stupid).

Anyway, for the actual question:

1) should we keep the Panny and hope that someone finally posts a red push tweak? I like the Panny enough to try this but hate the red push enough that I can't live with it as is.

2) take the Sony that is at CC right now and hope that a) it has the "fix" or b) pray it doesn't get the problem.

3) have CC order us another set to guarantee a January+ build date.

I know I'm going to get a myriad of responses. What I'm hoping for is some type of consensus.

Thanks

Dorys

PS- for those of you that deal with WAF, in my home it's HAF. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting.

I am in the process of exchanging my Sony GWIII 42" for a PT50LC13.

I am exchanging the Sony because of the buzz issue and the difficulty of getting any kind of official response from Sony about it. My Sony was problem free, but I decided not to live with the anxiety. Now though, it seems like they finally have found the real fix---a new bulb.

I have had the GWIII for over a month. I have been extremely pleased with the picture quality---both SD and HD. I think you will like it as well.

I did help a friend set up a Panny a few weeks ago. My time with it was limited, but after making adjustments I can't say that the picture quality of the Panny was any better or worse than the Sony with SD or DVDs. My friend did not yet have an HD source.

After I have had my Panny for a week or so (they are delivering it tomorrow), I will post a more complete comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After all was said and done we exchanged the Panny for the Sony. By far the Sony has a better PQ out of the box than the Panny we had.

I've had the Sony for 5 days now. So far no problems but I did hear that infamous buzz on day 2. But nothing else.

Hopefully, the latest fix will do the trick... and if so, I'll be getting a new bulb soon.

Dorys

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slackjeep
I've been reading this forum almost daily since mid December when I bought a Panny 50lc13. My husband and I being new to RPTV were quite disappointed with the PQ, we cannot live with the Panny's notorious Red Push.

I've been keeping up on the Pt-50lc13 since July03 and I have yet to hear of an "notorious" red push issue??? Please post the links to threads that refer to this "notorious" red push with the PT-50lc13.

Did you make sure you didn't have the picture set to "Warm"?

Thank You

newmie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I can't post the urls. This forum has a minimum posting rule for posting sites. but if you do a search on

"Set-up and use of the Panasonic PT-50lc13"

and

"Panasonic PT-50LC13 in home observations"

you will find many references to the "notorious" red push.

I tried the suggested user tweaks (vs. service menu) and the red was RED!

and No, the TV was NOT set to warm.

Moot point anyway, we returned the Panny and have the Sony. For us, the Sony's PQ is much better out of the box...

your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well between "Set-up and use of the Panasonic PT-50lc13"

and "Panasonic PT-50LC13 in home observations" their are 822 posts. Of which less then 10 talk about red push. Most refer to how they resolved Red Push with the PT-50LC13. And non refer to it as an issue that they cant or have not over come.

"I feel" it's a little harsh to say the PT-50LC13 has "notorous Red push" issues. Based on less then 10 posts out of 822.

MHO

PS: Glad to hear you found a TV your happy with.

newmie

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have to agree with Newmie. I have been reading both of those Panny threads since almost the beginning and have had a PT-50LC13 since mid-Fall. Throughout all of that I never even got the impression that this set had a color problem too large for the normal settings/adjustments. (Possibly the notion that it needs some adjustment out of the box)

By simply setting the color correctly and using a calibration disc. In my case Digital Video Essentials (DVE) I have had no issues with the colors with either SD or HD or DVD player (480i) sources. This is all with the standard settings available to the casual user, no service menu with strange codes.

Finally I have never heard anyone mention Red Push, PT-50LC13 and the word notorious (or any other synonym/descriptor) even the same post or thread till this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys (or gals), let's not get so hung up on the word "notorious." I tend to use more flamboyant words than maybe I should.

I did a search and found more than enough posts on the subject to leave me to believe this is an issue in my mind.

I used DVE to no avail. There are no service menu tweaks that anyone has posted...yet. And quite frankly, I'm not interested in doing service menu tweaks on a $3000 TV just to get the "red" right.

I posted this before my husband and I had made up our minds on what to do.

So please forgive my verbage... I'm glad the Panny owners got their TVs to look right for them. I'm actually a big fan of Panasonic but but this time the Sony won out... unless, of course, the buzz issue is never resolved. Then I'll be back looking for those 50lc13 tweaks again. :)

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
To be hornest, Panny does have red push problem and so does many other brands of TV I saw. This is very obvious if you use the factory default 'Dynamic' color mode. Change to 'Cinema' or 'Normal' mode, the red push is not that an issue anymore. Now everyone has their own favorite TVs. I guess Slackjeep just willing to trade the 'notorious' red push problem of the Panny with the notorious BUZZ problem as well as notorious flickering problem of the Sony. I just wish everybody love their own TV and no need to trash other people's TV. After all, nobody want to hear negative things about their $3K investment. Well, maybe except those who bought the early batch of the Sony Buzzer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.