AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of tring to bring together my pcs in my home and simplify storage and allow me to access video and music through out my house.

The confusion has started after reading with the term streaming video.

When do I need to stream video?

I have been play some movies off my old laptop connect through to a home network on my 52" TV the last few weeks but there are a few videos(mkvs) that freeze and skip.

I want to setup a media server but am unsure what I actuall need to make it as I would like to keep the units connected to the TVs mininal in hardware.

Please teach I am lost

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy47 /forum/post/16955956

I am in the process of tring to bring together my pcs in my home and simplify storage and allow me to access video and music through out my house.

The confusion has started after reading with the term streaming video.

When do I need to stream video?

I have been play some movies off my old laptop connect through to a home network on my 52" TV the last few weeks but there are a few videos(mkvs) that freeze and skip.

I want to setup a media server but am unsure what I actuall need to make it as I would like to keep the units connected to the TVs mininal in hardware.

Please teach I am lost

you can stream but use a wired connection.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
We don't know enough about what you have, want and/or need. The horsepower required for each pc connected to a TV is a function of what kind of media files, what TV and what inputs the TVs have. Then what kind of network connects them all. Why don't you post a description of what you have in the way of TVs and pcs and where you would like to get to. There are cheaper options (like media extenders) than a pc at each TV connected back to a server.

BB

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
As posted, we don't really know what home theater or even just TV systems you want to support. A HTPC or media player such as a Popcorn Hour can both be used to play back media.

As for the media end, you could build a simple server that can be hidden somewhere and it will provide central storage for all your media that can be accessed via either computers or media players. I'm using unRAID right now, it's a simple to use but very capable media server operating system that's perfect for media storage and can be run on about $250 or more worth of hardware.

How can we report spamming like this??

Peter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hope is to start to centralize files, vids and audio and to figure out the best way to get my sat upstairs with out another reciever and maybe to the bedroom the same way.

Thinking of going linux for the hptc/server side

What I have:

Basement where we watch most of our movies and entertain

52" Sony Brav 2008 HD LCD, has HMDI, Component ect

Old kenwood RV 5.1 DTS

Bell Express Vu sat RV

Upstairs

27" Viso LCD, has VGA, Component, s vid no HDMI

I use a radio shack Video/remote wireless extender to get Sat to TV

This is were we watch News and the little on watchs Tree house and kid movies.

Computer parts available

I know that I will need to purchase some HD's and possibly sata PCI card.

It may not make sense to try and use these parts as I would have to replace atleast one desktop if I use it.

Asus A7VBX-X APG PCI ATX

GF 2 Pro vid card

Athlon XP 1600 CPU

512MB 266MHz RAM

20GB IDE HD

(was going to build this into a server)

Asus A7NBX-E APG PCI ATX

Athlon XP 2600

ATI AIW 9800 Pro 512

120G IDE HD (this was purchased in 2004 for HPTC but became a desktop)

Asus M2N-MXSE Plus PCIe MATX

Athlon 64 X2 Dual 5400

2 GB ram

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series low profile

160G sata HD

currently wifes desktop

(wifes desktop but can be used)

Compaq Presario Laptop

Athlon XP M 1.6GHz

redeon IGP 320M 64MB

1G Ram

40G HD

Currently being used to play vids on but has problems with mkv

Router linksys 310 N wireless and GB Ethernet switch

The one thing that would be helpfull now that I started to think about it was to replace the radio shack video/remote extender with something that doesnt go nutz when the microwave turns on. I do not want to run more then 1 bell rv in the house

I need to make a game play and buy some bits to get the ball moving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts