AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Stewart Ultramatte 150 screen up (144" x 60") with an Anthem projector (rebadged JVC RS20). Overall, I'm very happy with the screen size, which was way bigger than most of the calculators out there and bigger than what was recommended (mainly because it was feared the projector wouldn't be bright enough). I went in knowing that there might be some to be desired about picture brightness, but the cost difference between the smaller screen and the 60" tall one was a few hundred more and I was not planning on ever getting a newer screen. I figured projector tech would get better and cheaper over the years and I would just replace that part of the equation.

Anyway, I watched I Am Legend last night and was very satisfied, but, of course, there's always the question of getting that anamorphic lens... *sigh* I don't even know how much a motorized Panamorph can be had for, but would putting the $2k (again, no idea) towards the next projector be a better idea? Of course, one car argue that the next projector would be well served by the anamorphic lens as well...

The attached pictures were taken with a tripod where the room with the lights on was superimposed with the picture of the lights off with a movie paused.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have the RS20 on to a 120x51 Carada, with the panamorph on a motorized sled and it is awesome. I guess you are zooming now to fill the screen, if the brightness and sharpness are satisfying then the cost may not be justified, but on your size screen I think the lens option would look better.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgracing /forum/post/18221223

I finally got my Stewart Ultramatte 150 screen up (144" x 60") with an Anthem projector (rebadged JVC RS20). Overall, I'm very happy with the screen size, which was way bigger than most of the calculators out there and bigger than what was recommended (mainly because it was feared the projector wouldn't be bright enough). I went in knowing that there might be some to be desired about picture brightness, but the cost difference between the smaller screen and the 60" tall one was a few hundred more and I was not planning on ever getting a newer screen. I figured projector tech would get better and cheaper over the years and I would just replace that part of the equation.

Anyway, I watched I Am Legend last night and was very satisfied, but, of course, there's always the question of getting that anamorphic lens... *sigh* I don't even know how much a motorized Panamorph can be had for, but would putting the $2k (again, no idea) towards the next projector be a better idea? Of course, one car argue that the next projector would be well served by the anamorphic lens as well...

The attached pictures were taken with a tripod where the room with the lights on was superimposed with the picture of the lights off with a movie paused.

An anamorphic lens will cost you MUCH more than $2k...at least one that is worth anything. The UH480 with slide and such is more like $5k.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had my system up and running for about a month before I purchased my anamorphic lens and it was agony. Having the screen suitable for the larger image but not being able to fill it was miserable. But another thing I hope you're working on is curtains for that room!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63 /forum/post/18226609

I had my system up and running for about a month before I purchased my anamorphic lens and it was agony. Having the screen suitable for the larger image but not being able to fill it was miserable. But another thing I hope you're working on is curtains for that room!

It's like the finish line is only an arms length away but yet you never quite reach it until you take that last step...I agree...torture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*sigh* Does anyone know the differences between the Panamorph A480SYS and the JVC RSAL1? What about the JVC RSAL2 which is the Schneider solution? If the Schneider solution is only a little more than the Panamorph, I'm more inclined to go with the Schneider as I know their reputation in the photography world. Also, I'm not sure why the panamorph looks like the old school overhead projectors from elementary school. Is the RSAL2 even compatible with the RS20?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm sure Jason can give you the details, but the first item you listed is the JVC branded Panamorph UH480 which is a prism type lens. The second one is indeed OEM'd by Schneider and is not a prism, hence the different constructions. I don't know the price of the RSAL2 but I'm going to bet it's not close to the RSAL1. Call Jason at AV Science as he has all the knowledge you need to make a good decision and he also has great deals on the lenses (I got my UH480 from him).

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgracing /forum/post/18228988

*sigh* Does anyone know the differences between the Panamorph A480SYS and the JVC RSAL1? What about the JVC RSAL2 which is the Schneider solution? If the Schneider solution is only a little more than the Panamorph, I'm more inclined to go with the Schneider as I know their reputation in the photography world. Also, I'm not sure why the panamorph looks like the old school overhead projectors from elementary school. Is the RSAL2 even compatible with the RS20?

Money.
Seriously, you pay a premium to have the JVC name on the lens (and it is identical).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts