AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
nice find. haven't seen them. i don't have any idea what they cost. my guess would be around $2500 ea.

are you building some sort of super system?

the 4722N is probably more than you need and it is passive.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
My first thought on seeing the pic, was that you're going to need to sit a long way back from them for the sound to integrate well. Maybe a bit big for ye average living abode.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308
My first thought on seeing the pic, was that you're going to need to sit a long way back from them for the sound to integrate well. Maybe a bit big for ye average living abode.
Agreed they are made for commercial theaters, but there are a lot of people (and a good number on this forum) who use them with great success. Check out some of the reviews from people who have used similiar JBL screen arrays that have compared them to consumer grade speakers. MKtheater is one who comes to mind.

I will be using some sort of JBL screen array in my upcoming theater. The room is going to be 16x25 so it will be a fairly big room.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308
Yep, this is the problem with the mid horn systems. I'd roughly estimate that you would need to be at least 12-15ft away, although the single mid horn might work fine.

I noticed this speaker a few months ago but I haven't seen a price or availability through online dealers.

If you want to go the JBL pro cinema route, the 4722N is a great way to do it. You could even add the midhorn down the road when JBL parts starts selling it. You would probably need to make a mounting setup but that wouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008
Agreed they are made for commercial theaters, but there are a lot of people (and a good number on this forum) who use them with great success. Check out some of the reviews from people who have used similar JBL screen arrays that have compared them to consumer grade speakers. MKtheater is one who comes to mind.

I will be using some sort of JBL screen array in my upcoming theater. The room is going to be 16x25 so it will be a fairly big room.
I'm not aware of any AVS contributer, HT enthusiast using any of these. Obviously there certainly may be, however as stated above, the integration distance would be a few yards minimum. With elements that distant from one another, it takes some propagation distance prior to a coherent wavefront manifesting itself. One does have the advantage of good pattern control down to 400-500 hz., but as coctostan stated, the 4722 would be a much better choice for HT use. Notnyt uses them, and has nothing but great things to say. Additionally, IMO, the 4722 is as big a bargain as any of the other so-called steals in this hobby. What performance one would achieve for the money with them seems like it would be significant to me.

MKtheater had a different horn, I believe his were the huge bi-radial types, and I believe he's now onto something else (imagine that
), stating that they where too much for his room.

This illustrates the beauty of the Danley SH line. Their horns need no, nada integration distance as they are physically co-entrant, and presumably, electronically manipulated in the dividing network as to electrically align as well. It is said that one can approach their horn speaker, (with 2xLF drivers, 6x mids, compression HF) and at any distance up to the mouth of the horn, the sound is ideally integrated. They have several models and the example I gave is merely one type.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008
Agreed they are made for commercial theaters, but there are a lot of people (and a good number on this forum) who use them with great success. Check out some of the reviews from people who have used similiar JBL screen arrays that have compared them to consumer grade speakers. MKtheater is one who comes to mind.

That is not all that large a room, and having had very large horn systems well before probably anyone else here, I strongly disagree. JBL have designed them to work at distances much longer than your room.

But anyway, go ahead and buy what you want: they will at least look impressive.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
MK did have a cobbled together ScreenArray 3-way. IIRC he never got it fully setup. I don't know what prevented him from doing that.

I'm aware of three home users with 3-way ScreenArrays. There could be more of course. Two are 2-channel 3731s and one is HT with LCR 3632s.

HT: http://monolith-theater.net/hal/?page_id=2

This is an awesome setup. It appears that he sits about 18-20ft away. I love this pic:

First 2-channel room - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=screenarray

They are 3731s and he sits at 4.5m (~14-15ft). He said it works as close as about 11-12ft.

The last guy is just using the mid and hf sections above an Altec woofer:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-JBL-2402h#top

----------

There are few significant differences between the 3730 and the 3731/3632/3732. The most significant difference is that the HF horn is a 1" threaded horn with a much cheaper CD (JBL 2414H) that crosses around 2khz vs the others using a large format 1.5" exit CD that crosses around 1.2khz. Beyond general sound quality issues due to the different CD (who knows the cheaper one might actually do better above 2khz) you will have some lobing issues. I'd estimate the CTC distance at about 16" and at a 2khz cross you will have nulls 24deg apart. That isn't very wide especially with close seating. You would definitely want to steer the lobe with active delay.

It might be counterintuitive, but the dual mid-woofer options probably work better at closer distances than the single mid 3730. Why did JBL design something that would have nulls intruding on their controlled pattern? Because it is not as significant the farther away you are and cost. This speaker will cost about half that of the 3731 and they do this by using a much cheaper CD, only one mid and cheaper woofers. It is an insane value for commercial theaters trying to pinch pennies.

Another issue is the overall height of the speaker due to the dual woofers. It would be pretty tough to sit on the vertical axis of the HF horn even with its downward tilt. The whole speaker would need to tilt down. It would probably be wise to buy just the 3730M/HF portion and use your own woofer below that.

Frankly, I think a great setup would the 3730 single midhorn crossed to the 1.5" HF horn from the 3731/4722 around 1-1.2khz with a single high quality woofer below it. You could save money on the woofer by going with something like a Peavey LR18 or go all out with a 21SW152 or TD18H. This would work well in a home and you could probably sit about 10ft away with no issues.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan /forum/post/20780235

HT: http://monolith-theater.net/hal/?page_id=2

I love this pic:

Me too. So much so that I have had it bookmarked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan /forum/post/20780235

Frankly, I think a great setup would the 3730 single midhorn crossed to the 1.5" HF horn from the 3731/4722 around 1-1.2khz with a single high quality woofer below it. You could save money on the woofer by going with something like a Peavey LR18 or go all out with a 21SW152 or TD18H. This would work well in a home and you could probably sit about 10ft away with no issues.

That's sort of like what I plan to do if my mega mains don't work out well with quad JBL 2226's per channel. The TD18H or B&C21SW152 would replace the 2226's if that were the case.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20780280

That's sort of like what I plan to do if my mega mains don't work out well with quad JBL 2226's per channel. The TD18H or B&C21SW152 would replace the 2226's if that were the case.

4 2226's per channel? That would be far more trouble than its worth in a home setting. Duals is about the right amount of overkill, IMO. What are your tops?

·
Premium Member
14,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20780566

They will all be sealed so pretty much equal to dual vented 2226's but with no need for high pass. 12dB/oct rolloff plus room gain ftw!!

Tops will be JBL 2445's on 2380's and I'm thinking about this one Beyma slot tweeter but I'm still shopping around.

be sure with those to not play the brown note, you will most definitely cause some issues across your entire neighborhood

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Max-

You jumped in front again. I was looking for that link.

I sit 12 ft. from my three 4622N's. There is a DTS-10 to the left. All are behind my SMX screen.

I also have an AM6215/95, which is an awesome speaker. If I had three, I wonder which set up would be better. Any thoughts Max?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
If somebody wanted to get really crazy, a great setup would be a clone of the JBL AM4200/95 crossed to a nice 18" woofer around 400hz. The AM4200/95 is a M/HF waveguide which uses the JBL branded BMS 4540ND for the HF and a JBL 165H 6.5" woofer that uses their compression mid technology. It is one piece and about 18" square. You could use the stock mid-high crossover and go active to the bass or do a passive 3-way.

There are a bunch of parts to order. The main parts are the WG (~$185), mid driver (~$130) hf driver (~$150) and crossover ($60). You would also need the little parts like the HF adapter, mid phase plug, mid rear can and gaskets.

Put this on top of an LR18 for another ~$200 and you have an insanely capable system for maybe $6-700/channel. I wouldn't be surprised if it would best the 3730, especially in the home. The 3730 doesn't utilize the CMCD mid technology and its HF isn't as good.

Beyond that, this clone could be about 40" tall and 22" wide and 25" deep making for a very cool home speaker. If I didn't have too many damn speakers laying around I'd build some for my office.

Edit: Here's the parts list and JBL's spec sheet:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/AE%...4200,95-WH.pdf
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...pe=3&docid=644

Pic:

They are discontinued, but I found some site selling them for $1350 and that is just the mid/hf section.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan /forum/post/20785812

If somebody wanted to get really crazy, a great setup would be a clone of the JBL AM4200/95 crossed to a nice 18" woofer around 400hz. The AM4200/95 is a M/HF waveguide which uses the JBL branded BMS 4540ND for the HF and a JBL 165H 6.5" woofer that uses their compression mid technology. It is one piece and about 18" square. You could use the stock mid-high crossover and go active to the bass or do a passive 3-way.

There are a bunch of parts to order. The main parts are the WG (~$185), mid driver (~$130) hf driver (~$150) and crossover ($60). You would also need the little parts like the HF adapter, mid phase plug, mid rear can and gaskets.

Put this on top of an LR18 for another ~$200 and you have an insanely capable system for maybe $6-700/channel. I wouldn't be surprised if it would best the 3730, especially in the home. The 3730 doesn't utilize the CMCD mid technology and its HF isn't as good.

Beyond that, this clone could be about 40" tall and 22" wide and 25" deep making for a very cool home speaker. If I didn't have too many damn speakers laying around I'd build some for my office.

Edit: Here's the parts list and JBL's spec sheet:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/AE%...4200,95-WH.pdf
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...pe=3&docid=644

Pic:

They are discontinued, but I found some site selling them for $1350 and that is just the mid/hf section.

That HF module looks an awful like the PT waveguide used in E-Wave designs...

JSS

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 /forum/post/20778962

I assume your screenwall is the 16' length. So keep in mind that the [audiophile] rule of thumb is to either sit 1/3 in or 2/3 back in the room. That means the ideal seating location will either be 8.3' or 16.6' back from the screen.

My room is 16' x 27'. I sit 1/3 back. Forget about the middle of the room, it's just a huge bass void there. A pair of 15" 2226H Econowave were enough to [cleanly] overpower my room. Somewhere around 3500 cu3^ and also leads to an open kitchen & stairway.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.