AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please create sub folders for the "Audio and Hi-Fi" board.

For instance, having subfolders for Diva, for Hsu and other brands.

The board at www.HarmonicDiscord.com has this for instance if you're looking for a model to follow.

In that manner, Diva people, for instance, can create topics relating to SPECIFIC Diva issues.

Doing a search for Diva 2.1, for instance, takes me to the Diva super thread where the 2.1 is eventually addressed under layers and layers and layers of pages!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think everyone here likes how the boards are laid out, I know I like it better than Harmonic Dischord. Try the search again but click on "show results as posts". This will take you directly to the posts that mentioned the 2.1s.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
dr150-

Just in case you weren't aware, when doing a search you can click on the 'option' to list searches by POSTs, the default only lists by thread titles. When doing this 'Diva AND 2.1' search string lists 290 posts (about 12 pages worth. If you get more specific in your search string, you can trim it down from there.

Good Luck,

Bruce

PS. I'm slow at the draw again!:D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Will definitely use the suggestions.

However, I still think having company subfolders for threads is a great idea.

Maybe, I should have started this thread as a poll. In that manner, democracy rules!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think a sub folder is a good idea (independent of the implementation method). I've noticed that some people post and say "excuse me for getting off topic" or something to that effect before they ask their diva question. But I also think you might lose some cohesion too. Not only that, but we won't get to see how many replies/views we can get up to. :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am all for this idea if for no other reason than to eliminate the threads "locked" at the top of this forum. Between those threads and other miscellaneous announcements, the top 1/3 of the first page must be skipped in order to get to the most recently submitted/updated threads.

Michael

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My 2 cents--I'm against further subdivision, because it works against anyone interested in the Audio and HiFi topic as a whole. Segmenting topics by product impedes discussions that embrace more than one product. Also, some topics might involve interaction issues between two different products--setting Outlaw crossovers for Diva Swans, for example--which subfolder would that go in? I like being able to scan a list of ALL thread titles without having to dive into subfolders to see what people are talking about.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Philip hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. In addition, I can't tell you the number of things learned that I was NOT looking for, and that's what makes it great here.

I am not particularly fond of the other format linked to. Way to many manufacture catagories, that just continue to grow.

David and Alan's concept here was a casual coffee shop gathering place to exchange ideas, I feel it works very well, at that.

BTW, there is no democracy here. This is a successful private forum provided at the expense of the Hosts and whatever they can pull in from the sponsors and banner ads.

As far as the amount of info at the top, that is only an issue for me on my little pathetic 15" monitor at home. At work I have a 21" and it is a non-issue there.

regards, Bruce

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I should clarify my statement a little. I am actually against future catagory breakouts, for reasons that were amply pointed out by Philip. It is just that I loathe excessive "pinned" threads more than I dislike excessive forum catagories.

IMHO, the best online A/V forums foster non-prioritized, time-ordered discussions.

Michael

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys,

I can understand completely with both sides here. Sometimes, I'm only interested posts that deal with a certain product, and other times I'm browsing the entire board. I think we can have the best of both worlds--keep the Audio Hi-Fi category and within it you can have all the sub-categories you like. But, the trick is any post that goes into, say, the Diva sub-category will be posted in BOTH the Diva and Audio Hi-Fi categories. Basically, each message will be posted in two places (theoretically... it's probably just linked to twice on the server). Using an analogy from above, those who want to mingle in the coffee shop can stay Audio Hi-Fi without missing a message, while those who wish to ignore the strangers and chat with their friends at the corner table can enter the sub-categories.

I have seen this already implemented on other forums using vBulletin (don't know the exact version) and I find it VERY useful. Specifically, the main category is Canada with the Canadian cities as sub-categories. That forum discusses music related events and happenings in Canada and around the world (each country/region is setup in a similar fashion).

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
IMO, the support threads for Hsu, SVS, & Diva work well (no need for an actual category).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.