AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My X1 is mounted very close to my 7.5' ceiling. The lens is only about 4" from ceiling. I noticed that light is spilling out of the X1 on the white ceiling above the lens. I came to the conclusion that this can't be good.

I cut a 14"x14" piece of black cloth and stapled it above the projector where light was spilling. Also I stapled a long strip above and across the entire lenght of my screen.

Well, let me tell you the improvement in contrast and black level was very noticeable to my eyes. :cool:

Just thought I would pass this along for those with projector mounted close to white ceiling. Should have done thios long ago.:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm in the same boat. X1 mounted within inches of white ceiling and walls are cream colored wall paper.

I'll try your idea.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I was already going to mask top bottom (4:3 spill) and a little on the sides but i'll do this also.

Its amazing with white walls how much the room lights up on bright scenes.

(Don't think the missus will let me paint it black :) haah)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I finally got the White ceiling up this week and got to watch a movie and various clips this weekend. The picture seemed fine but I did not think to check the ceiling to look for spill from the projector. I'm bout 6 incheched or so off the ceiling

·
Registered
914 Posts
In my demo of the X1, I thought I noticed a little washed out look of the image, and thought that masking on the screen and cutting down on reflected light would help. I was thinking of putting up 4 small hooks in the ceiling at four corners of some black cloth and attaching with some small bungee type cords when using the projector so that it could the cloth could be taken down quickly when not using the PJ.

This is in a basement family room so painting walls, ceilings, etc black is out of the question. Has anyone tried anything like this?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Jake, not a bad idea, i think that option for the roof combined with curtains round the walls would work well (thats what im thinking of donig)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone tried just masking the light spill from the X1 but not doing any sort of screen masking on the wall or ceiling? It should be pretty easy to make a subtle mask near the projector, but masking the screen would be very obtrusive in my projection room, which is also my multi-purpose rec room.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Yes, that has been discussed in the past, but if the mask is too close to the projector it doesn't give a clean line at the screen. A search should show some results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.