AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've read the upscaling info in Bob Pariseau's thread as well as other info from the site and while I understand the concepts I'm still not sure what to do. I've got a Panasonic TH-42PX60U plasma TV and need to pair a DVD player with it. I'm not ready to go HD until the dust settles from the fight. From what I've read, my Panny does a good job of upconverting so do I need to get an upconverting DVD player or just use a standard one with good components (i.e. an older Denon model).

Any and all suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Deuce

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/0

OK, I've read the upscaling info in Bob Pariseau's thread as well as other info from the site and while I understand the concepts I'm still not sure what to do. I've got a Panasonic TH-42PX60U plasma TV and need to pair a DVD player with it. I'm not ready to go HD until the dust settles from the fight. From what I've read, my Panny does a good job of upconverting so do I need to get an upconverting DVD player or just use a standard one with good components (i.e. an older Denon model).

Any and all suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Deuce

There is no certain rule. It depends on your viewing preferences and how fanatical you are about your DVDs. I think a good progressive scan player gets you 90% of the way there. The upscaling business is an attempt to squeeze that last few percent out of 480i DVDs.

When considering a player I always check to see if it is listed on this site, which is all about progressive scan performance: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

I have been pleased with my Oppo players. For your plasma, the Oppo 970 at $149 is a bargain.

-Bill

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
All new DVD players are pretty much upscaling, so it's a moot point (unless, as you state, you may go with a used older model like the Denon 2200 or 2900). Considering the Tosh A2 is only $400, and does a better job upscaling than most upscaling players (and upscales better than BD players, and plays HD-DVDs to boot), you might want to reconsider that player. Otherwise, get the Oppo 970.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You may want to try a standard player and an upconvert player with your TV to see which one gives you the better PQ. If you see no difference, keep the standard player. These days many good upconvert players can be found for less than $150. Most likely the upconvert player will have better PQ via HDMI/DVI due to digital-to-digital connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for your input. The Oppo 970 is on its way. The mulitple HDMI resolutions give me the option to have the Oppo upscale or the Panny upscale and I can just choose the best one.

Have a good weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.