AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to distribute HDMI video from sources in my basement, I've run pairs of Cat6 cable from that central location to each of my bedrooms. Each pair is now at a single or dual gang opening in the wall. My question is, should I terminate the ends with Cat6 keystone jacks and then use RJ45 termiated patch cables to the Balun inputs, or should I terminate the wires with RJ45 for direct connection to the Baluns? Will there be a problem with 1080p distribution if I go with the keystone jacks? I think the result would look much more professional that way, but I don't want to hurt or degrade the video signal quality...

Many thanks...

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor73 /forum/post/18173776

In an effort to distribute HDMI video from sources in my basement, I've run pairs of Cat6 cable from that central location to each of my bedrooms. Each pair is now at a single or dual gang opening in the wall. My question is, should I terminate the ends with Cat6 keystone jacks and then use RJ45 termiated patch cables to the Balun inputs, or should I terminate the wires with RJ45 for direct connection to the Baluns? Will there be a problem with 1080p distribution if I go with the keystone jacks? I think the result would look much more professional that way, but I don't want to hurt or degrade the video signal quality...

Many thanks...

We usually terminate directly into an RJ45 @ the balun. Using the keystone jacks just creates opportunities for skew, which can be big trouble.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor73 /forum/post/18173776

Many thanks...

I've used keystone jacks in my home without a problem caused by the jack. Although, it does create another point of failure, it should not degrade the signal enough to cause a problem..of course this all depends on length and the quality of terminations/keystone/etc.

I have 6 video zones using HDMI baluns and I have keystone jacks on each side before hitting the balun. Shortest run is ~50ft and longest run is about 150ft.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you skip keystones, make sure you use the correct connector type; solid or stranded accordingly (I would assume you ran solid, right?)

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
For HDMI baluns, I HIGHLY recommend no keystones. Use a single cable in every instance possile, without any junctions, terminated directly to RJ45 right at the balun.

HDMI baluns have all kinds of failure problems, and the bandwidth can be significantly higher than gigabit ethernet. Avoid every possible additional termination point you can. You may get lucky with additional junctions, but you're just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup,

I ran solid 23AWG Cat6. Thanks to all for the recommendation to skip keystones as it confirms my suspicions. The questions now is, how do I make it look professional? What sort of wallplate should I get if I want the cables to be RJ45 terminated at the baluns? Should I just buy a blank plate and drill a 1/2 inch diameter hold in the center and put a rubber grommet around it?

Thanks again all,

-Victor

·
Registered
880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor73 /forum/post/18197163

Yup,

I ran solid 23AWG Cat6. Thanks to all for the recommendation to skip keystones as it confirms my suspicions. The questions now is, how do I make it look professional? What sort of wallplate should I get if I want the cables to be RJ45 terminated at the baluns? Should I just buy a blank plate and drill a 1/2 inch diameter hold in the center and put a rubber grommet around it?

Thanks again all,

-Victor

IMO, I would not skip the keystones because of the look factor. Is it possible to keep the slack and try the keystone just to see if it will work? I used keystones in ALOT of places (both the source and tv side) and have zero issues.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor73 /forum/post/18197163

Yup,

Thanks again all,

-Victor
Less than $3 @ Monoprice....just choose your color and size

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Arlington Industries and Leviton also make recessed boxes that can accomodate keystones, in addition to Carlon linked above. Single, double, + multigang available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts