AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have been happy with my Sony VPL-VW320ES (VPLVW365ES in the US), but have started to think about upgrading it to some other model (or perhaps other brand of videoprojectors as well). My projector also has already 3000 hours on its bulb (mainly in low mode, but movies with 2.35:1 and/or HDR I have watched with the high mode).
The upgrade however should provide significant improvement over my old projector.
I was thinking about waiting for the native 8K projectors, but I do not think they are available for consumers for three years or so?
Perhaps the way forward would be to get a laser projector and perhaps a good candidate for bringing significant improvement would we VPL-VW790ES (VW915ES in the US).
VW320ES was rated for 1500 lumens, while the VW790ES would be 2000 lumens.

Any suggestions for me, what would be the best way forward? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
I think it might be wise to wait until 2021. I would expect major upgrades if you don't mind waiting. I would expect HDMI 2.1 and more laser projectors from JVC and others.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hi!

I have been happy with my Sony VPL-VW320ES (VPLVW365ES in the US), but have started to think about upgrading it to some other model (or perhaps other brand of videoprojectors as well). My projector also has already 3000 hours on its bulb (mainly in low mode, but movies with 2.35:1 and/or HDR I have watched with the high mode).
The upgrade however should provide significant improvement over my old projector.
I was thinking about waiting for the native 8K projectors, but I do not think they are available for consumers for three years or so?
Perhaps the way forward would be to get a laser projector and perhaps a good candidate for bringing significant improvement would we VPL-VW790ES (VW915ES in the US).
VW320ES was rated for 1500 lumens, while the VW790ES would be 2000 lumens.

Any suggestions for me, what would be the best way forward? Thanks for any suggestions!
Check out my eye candy thread to see what a 760 can do. It throws a spectacular image and the 790 will be no worse.
You could wait forever for the perfectly specced projector, but it will be a long wait.
The 790 provides a stunning image now. Why wait? ;):cool:
The 790 will be a great and obvious upgrade from a 320.
Steps back and waits for the inevitable recommendations to go JVC and ignore all else......

Reactions: solid_dvd

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that there might be an alternative for me. There is a used Sony VPL-VW760ES (= the counterpart in the US is VPL-VW885ES I believe) being available here with quite a good price. Its the same projector Archibald1 referred to above. It has miles on it though: the laser has been used for 9000 hours. It must have been in commercial use with those hours.

I have no experience on these kinds of matters - would it be worth investing in 760ES with a laser that has been already quite a lot or instead look for another another alternatives?
If you think that this might be a good solution - what kind of matters to take into notice when shopping for such a used laser projector?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
It seems that there might be an alternative for me. There is a used Sony VPL-VW760ES (= the counterpart in the US is VPL-VW885ES I believe) being available here with quite a good price. Its the same projector Archibald1 referred to above. It has miles on it though: the laser has been used for 9000 hours. It must have been in commercial use with those hours.

I have no experience on these kinds of matters - would it be worth investing in 760ES with a laser that has been already quite a lot or instead look for another another alternatives?
If you think that this might be a good solution - what kind of matters to take into notice when shopping for such a used laser projector?
I would not buy it without seeing it in action first and also only if the price is right. With that many hours on (although still many many years of normal use) I would hope it would be only a few thousand.

Make sure you test the uniformity and black levels to see what they are like. Take content you are familiar with and test discs too.

Also the physical condition of the unit itself will show how it has been treated. Any obvious layers of dust or grime can be cause for concern, but if it is only dust it may just be a sign it hasn ot been disturbed. You would have to judge as you find on that front.

If it is anything like the VW60 I bought with over 10,000 hours on, then the image will be fantastic.
There is a theory that more use minimised any aging/degradation you see.

Good luck and let us know how it goes if you decide to try i/buy it.

·
Registered
29,952 Posts

If no warranty, I would not touch that projector with a 10' pole.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
If no warranty, I would not touch that projector with a 10' pole.
Not even if the price is low enough to reflect the hours used, condition of the unit and it performs well?
There comes a point where all second hand devices have no warranty and the buying decision has to be based on other factors.
Minimum, I would recommend viewing it and giving it a thorough check before parting with any cash.

·
Registered
29,952 Posts
Not even if the price is low enough to reflect the hours used, condition of the unit and it performs well?
There comes a point where all second hand devices have no warranty and the buying decision has to be based on other factors.
Minimum, I would recommend viewing it and giving it a thorough check before parting with any cash.
With a lamp based projector, you have to worry about the light engine. That is usually too costly to replace. With a laser, you have to worry about the light engine and the light source. That is twice the risk. I just would not offer much for a projector with 9,000 hours on it. I would rather spend 5/6k on a projector with 3 years warranty.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
With a lamp based projector, you have to worry about the light engine. That is usually too costly to replace. With a laser, you have to worry about the light engine and the light source. That is twice the risk. I just would not offer much for a projector with 9,000 hours on it. I would rather spend 5/6k on a projector with 3 years warranty.
I don't see the distinction.
Firstly the laser is more likely to outlast the optical block than not.
Secondly, if the optical block is broken and too costly to replace, then it doesn't matter if the light source is good or not.
If you have 5 - 8k to spend, not everyone wants to buy the bottom rung, regardless of how good it might be, even with a warranty. Personal choice and personal risk. :)

Used cars would not sell if everyone took that mentality. It is about getting the model you desire for less (often a LOT less) than the new price.
The balance between cost and risk is a personal thing that we can't second guess.

·
Registered
29,952 Posts
I don't see the distinction.
Firstly the laser is more likely to outlast the optical block than not.
Secondly, if the optical block is broken and too costly to replace, then it doesn't matter if the light source is good or not.
If you have 5 - 8k to spend, not everyone wants to buy the bottom rung, regardless of how good it might be, even with a warranty. Personal choice and personal risk. :)

Used cars would not sell if everyone took that mentality. It is about getting the model you desire for less (often a LOT less) than the new price.
The balance between cost and risk is a personal thing that we can't second guess.
With any projector you have the risk of light engine failure, though I do not view that risk very large. With laser, I see the risk doubled, because laser failure is pretty much the same as light engine failure.

While rare, laser failures have happened. That is why I see it as a lot more risk, especially with a projector with 9,000 hours. You are welcome to your disposition on the matter, as am I. And to be clear, this has nothing to do with manufacturer because I would not pay 8K for an RS4500 with 9,000 hours on it and no warranty. I just do not see the risk/reward value high enough in this situation.

Added
A lot of used cars come with warranty. besides, a car can be repaired. You are not going to get a manufacturer to replace the laser, so laser repair not even an option.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
With any projector you have the risk of light engine failure, though I do not view that risk very large. With laser, I see the risk doubled, because laser failure is pretty much the same as light engine failure.

While rare, laser failures have happened. That is why I see it as a lot more risk, especially with a projector with 9,000 hours. You are welcome to your disposition on the matter, as am I. And to be clear, this has nothing to do with manufacturer because I would not pay 8K for an RS4500 with 9,000 hours on it and no warranty. I just do not see the risk/reward value high enough in this situation.
I agree there, I would only want to pay 5k absolute TOPS for that unit with no warranty.

Even then that only works if you are prepared (and able) to risk that amount of cash, which is why PQ and unit condition come into it as per a used car. :)

Without viewing of course, none of this is ascertainable and somewhat moot.

I agree however, at pure face value, that is too much for a unit with nearly half of its specced 'half life' used.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
While rare, laser failures have happened. That is why I see it as a lot more risk. You are not going to get a manufacturer to replace the laser, so laser repair not even an option.
Why not? The laser unit in the Sony's (not 5000 or 380) is a self contained unit that would be a relatively quick swap out once the unit is open.

·
Registered
29,952 Posts
Why not? The laser unit in the Sony's (not 5000 or 380) is a self contained unit that would be a relatively quick swap out once the unit is open.
Well Epson said it was not a replaceable part and JVC has said it is not cost effective to replace, if outside of warranty and that applies to the RS4500.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Well Epson said it was not a replaceable part and JVC has said it is not cost effective to replace, if outside of warranty and that applies to the RS4500.
I can imagine the laser module in the Z1 is now akin to the 5000 and this is a different kettle of fish. The Epsons start off cheaper in the first place and it is likely just a matter of pure economics for them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What about light output? The first 9000 hours of a laser projector are the best 9000 hours. Is it still outputting more light than a bulb projector after that point?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
What about light output? The first 9000 hours of a laser projector are the best 9000 hours. Is it still outputting more light than a bulb projector after that point?
A good point and why it is best to view it before buying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts