AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out here having issues with DVD-R AVCHD disks made with Toast 9 playing back in the Sony BDP-S350 Blu-Ray Player?

Video looks great, but the Menu's don't work right. All I get is a black screen with Yellow squares where the "Scenes" are supposed to be.

I've sent an issue request into Roxio, but they seem to point the finger at Sony (of course). Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks in advance!

TRaymond

· Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaymond /forum/post/15411875

I've sent an issue request into Roxio, but they seem to point the finger at Sony (of course).

TRaymond

Don't use Toast 9, but the above IS entirely possible.

AVCHD disks contrary to popular belief, are not part of the BD spec and therefore not all machines will play them properly.

Barring that as the problem, I will say that I had a similar issue on Blu Ray a while back. I was creating motion menus (using interlaced M2t HDV files) and everything worked fine in computer simulation, but when I put it on the disk, the highlighting would show up (the yellow squares) but the motion menus would remain blank. After re-rendering the M2T files over to progressive everything worked fine.

As a result... my PURE GUESS would be that menus need to be done in progressive scan mode for Blu Ray.... and I haven't had the problem since using progressive scan on menus.

· Registered
318 Posts
I use toast 9 with a sony cx12 and have no issues playing back on a panasonic BD30 using DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+DL, or DVD-RW..........

Are you using the HD menus? One workaround is to select startup automatically and skip menus..........

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
One workaround is to select startup automatically and skip menus..........

I know I can skip Menus. But then what's the point. The ONLY reason I bought toast was to produce AVCHD DVD's (and eventually BDROM's). Their own marketing says it can be done. Heck...everywhere I go online says to use Toast 9 for Burning HD Content.

You'd think a simple feature like "Can I make a menu" would have been QC'd before leaving Roxio's hands.

Is there anything else out there that can burn AVCHD DVD's? I'd kill for IDVD to have that functionality!!!

TRaymond

· Registered
318 Posts
before you spend more money on another program......try a different company's media. All media are not created equal...........I had serious issues with Memorex DVD media and now only use verbatim. It may possibly be the sony BR player that cannot read the disc properly.....I had issues with a sony standard dvd player playing MPEG dvd's a couple of years ago, but they played fine on pioneer and toshiba dvd players..............Like I said, I haven't had issues with my panasonic BR player. The thing I like best about toast is it doesn't transcode the AVCHD media, it just arranges and burns which saves ALOT of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.