AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toast 7 will be released officially on 8-31-2005. Some users are already receiving their copies. Yesterday MacFixit reported inability to create slideshows in Toast 7. MacFixit also reported some users are having problems burning DVDs containing audio but no video (black screen) from .mov files that worked fine under Toast 6.1.1.

Toast 7 reportedly offers a number of significant improvements over 6.x, but this update comes at what cost to program stability? Has anybody had success with Toast 7?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just seen screenshots so far, but I'll be real interested to hear about the HD divx support and how much horsepower it'll take to decode it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got a copy last night, haven't really given it much of a look yet though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am curious to hear how long the transcode time is to fill a DVD from 480i DV (home videos) --> 480i DivX. I'm also interested in transcode times for 1080i MPEG2 (EyeTV 500 files) --> 720p DivX.

Toast Titanium 7 does not support burning 1080i MPEG2 directly to DVD except as files and folders, not as .vob content with DVD menus etc. Roxio claims it can't be done and no media player on the market can handle it. I've read otherwise from Windows users in the I-O Data forums.

Roxio claims a ten-fold increase in video compression versus MPEG2. I'll believe that when I see people successfully burning & playing back 30 hours of 640x480 video on a 9GB dual layer DVD-DivX. They didn't say what the quality is like at those compression ratios.

Is the program even stable yet, or does it crash often?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHound
I am curious to hear how long the transcode time is to fill a DVD from 480i DV (home videos) --> 480i DivX. I'm also interested in transcode times for 1080i MPEG2 (EyeTV 500 files) --> 720p DivX.

Toast Titanium 7 does not support burning 1080i MPEG2 directly to DVD except as files and folders, not as .vob content with DVD menus etc. Roxio claims it can't be done and no media player on the market can handle it. I've read otherwise from Windows users in the I-O Data forums.

Roxio claims a ten-fold increase in video compression versus MPEG2. I'll believe that when I see people successfully burning & playing back 30 hours of 640x480 video on a 9GB dual layer DVD-DivX. They didn't say what the quality is like at those compression ratios.
MacHound-

You always seem to have great info so let me just ask you a couple of questions. What is the benefit of DivX vs. just mpeg2 for a DVD? And can a regular DVD player read DivX format?

Steve

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve,

DivX is a newer, tighter compression format compared to mpeg2. It's roughly equivalent to H.264's compression tightness, though both parties have strong advocates that one format is better than the other. DivX is proprietary, whereas H.264 is standardized and committee-approved. The newest version, DivX 6, supports all standard DVD-style subtitles and menus internally to the file so you can download a file off the web that plays like a DVD. (Hopefully I didn't start a holy war by stating any of this. I readily admit I'm not an expert on either format.)

To answer your second question, only a player that has DivX compatibility can play DivX DVDs. I assume that means the manufacturer paid DivX.com a royalty for that certification and permission to use the DivX logo. 480i DivX players can be had for around $70. My $250 I-O Data Linkplayer2 claims High Definition DivX-DVD compatibility among many its many features, but I-O Data still has some work to do to fulfill that promise. It still has bugs with FF & rewind -- so I read.

DivX content is sprouting up all over the web & DivX-DVDs won't be far behind. Apple had better get busy if they want H.264 to have any chance at all. DivX has the 'buzz' on the Windows side, and now it also appears to have that on the Mac too. Where's H.264 output in Toast? Where are all the H.264 players? Answer: There aren't any.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MacInTouch produced a full Toast 7 Titanium First Look review today. Interestingly, T-7-T appears to have the first DivX Pro (6.0?) encoder that works under 10.4.x. (According to DivX.com DivX Pro 5.2.1 is the latest avaiable non-Toast version and it doesn't work with Tiger.) The MacInTouch article suggests this encoder can be used directly to your hard drive, not just to optical media. Apple better watch out! H.264's future is in jeopardy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.