AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We smelled that unmistakable smoldering stink as the rocker was lifting off the pad...Lol... I took it apart and it's not the amp. These amps have failed for lots of people,but it still lives.... and the movies really hit it hard. I'm curious....when I took the speaker apart. .. the coil was dark brown and really smelled ....but I noticed a capacitor strapped to the speaker leads connecting them. It wasn't burnt or bulged. What does that capcitor actually do....???

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
What does that capcitor actually do....???
It would be a low pass filter. It's rare to see them so employed without an inductor. Is that the coil you're referring to, and not the voice coil?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm referring to the voice coil.....I really expected to see something black...we caught it , but not fast enough....the wound coils are a very dark brown and stink to high heaven...lol.....

I think this happened because I compounded too much bass from my Onkyo tx nr727. Now that I look back I'm surprised it lasted so long. I used the LFE input with full range from ts and the double bass setting on. Add to that more eq'd settings to the sub and fronts.....it was just overkill..... I actually picked up another one....they're discounted to $249...... ?After all ... now I have an identical extra amp. This time around using normal input and using the sub's crossover. Also.... sloping off the sub's eq settings. I still prefer the double bass setting on my system. I just have to pay more attention to how many frequency settings are being increased......

I'm still amazed how the amp withstood that pounding without blowing the fuse...too bad subs didn't have a thermal shutdown...lol....

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 04/17/2015 6:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: [email protected]
Subject: You have been quoted at AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Dear jserrent,

Bill Fitzmaurice has quoted you!

-----------

---Quote (Originally by jserrent)---
What does that capcitor actually do....???
---End Quote---
It would be a low pass filter. It's rare to see them so employed without an inductor. Is that the coil you're referring to, and not the voice coil?
-----------

You can view the full post here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/33566697-post.html

To see a full list of quotes, click here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=profilenotif&tab=quotes

All the best,
AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews, a part of VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter Street, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5V 2H1

Contact Us - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/sendmessage.php

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
In your Onkyo 727 receiver, did you activate the Double Bass?

Did you use the Graphic EQ? /// The Bass & Treble tone controls?

EDIT: Yes, you had the Double Bass activated. ...Too bad.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
In true Audiophile spirit ..... There's No Such Thing As Enough Bass ...... ! ... lol .... :?)
There is.

The limit is just different from person to person. Nonetheless, I understand what you were getting across in your statement :p

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Do we have a thread for Intersteller killed my woofer? :D
+1 to the small rooms! :D

With the room shaking, I noticed zero port noise or sings of stress from my PB-1000 which sits about 5 ft. away from my LP

·
Registered
29 Posts
Soooo interstellar. I thought the movie was pretty good but man did it give the sub a good work out.

I also have the ES250P and unfortunately overheated the voice coil during this movie.
Its still working but not sure how much damage could have been done.

The sub level set by the receiver is either too loud or the sub is just not capable in this movie.

So the question is.... What is an upgrade from this sub?

·
Registered
858 Posts
My Seatons were dancing hard during the scene where Coop flies into the Gargantua .... pretty epic bass. The room was shacking and you felt the bass -- but no distortion that I could tell. That scene is up there with WOTW pod scene and the opening sweep in Edge of Tomorrow.

Sorry to hear it smoked your JBLs though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whoa. Does it not strike anyone else odd that 3 people with the same subwoofer all fried their subs with the same movie?

That is insane! And really brutal! That sucks!

I'm scared to watch it now with my BIC F12!
Don't be scared. Just dial down the LFE channel and make sure your center has the correct crossover or can handle 20hz.

I was running my Pioneer LX83 at -15dB Volume with Center and Surrounds at 80Hz crossover.
The scene where they go into Gargantua was just too long for what the sub could handle at those volume levels. At that point I dropped the LFE level on my receiver to carry the sub through the next bass heavy scenes.

How does the JBL ES250P compare to other subs? Are SVS subs the only ones worth upgrading too? Keeping in mind that this is my first Sub and haven't really had the opportunity to hear others as no one I know has a decent system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.