Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of them? Or heard them?

I'm not thinking of buying them but just curious. I heard someone rave about them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has heard of him?

I hear he won a medal in Alpine Grand National '94 and again in '98 World IASCA finals. Both are car audio, but as seen on his website he has HT speakers now also.

Personally the drivers look cheaply built. But looks aren't everything(looks at adire subs).

Maybe someone who knows more about speaker design can give an opinion?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have heard of them AND heard them. Toby is located in Fort Worth, and I've stopped by there a time or two. I think that Toby is mostly well-known for their bandpass subwoofers than anything else, but they do make some interesting HT speakers. Most of their HT designs use transmission-line configurations.

I don't think that the drivers are cheap, they're just made in-house. I'm pretty sure that aesthetics aren't high on thier list, it's more about performance. I was somewhat impressed with the HT speakers' ability to image and sound quality. I was somewhat less enthused about their low-frequency output. I felt like they didn't have much output below 100 Hz or so in any of their designs.

The subs that are made for HT are band-pass 10" design utilizing the 250W Parts Express amp.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I used to have a pair of 12" drivers in my car back around 1993 or so. It hit pretty deep as I recall. I think they are in the attic somewhere now.

My friend's dad is a recording technician or whatever they are called. He loves Toby speakers and has had some of their speakers in his living room since like the '80s.

I think they used to have a trade-in program where you could trade-in your old Tobys for new ones. Don't know if they still have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.