AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have found a deal on a new sony 55 w950b for 999.99 on crutchfield. my company will pay 350.00 but i can only buy from crutchfield or sears. So today at 6 pm if i don't find a better deal im pulling the trigger. i wanted bigger but keeping it under a grand is hard to find good tv's... If any one finds a better tv for grand or less let me know. picture is the only part that matters i have sound taken care of and app's don't matter either.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I studied and compared the 60w850 and 65w950 extensively when I was shopping late last year. The 850 had better blacks IMO and looked just as good as the 950. The 950 also had these weird rainbow reflections on the screen, I could see them on the 55 and 65. They probably wouldn't be visible at home, but it was enough to sway me into a 60w850b.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the 950b because it was in my price range and i really want to see what Q dot is about. Sony told me to call them back and they would give me a 4 year warranty for 20 bucks. I ordered it from crutchfield they sold it to me for 60 bucks less than sony could.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I got the 950b because it was in my price range and i really want to see what Q dot is about. Sony told me to call them back and they would give me a 4 year warranty for 20 bucks. I ordered it from crutchfield they sold it to me for 60 bucks less than sony could.
The W950B does not have the QD tech. The QD tech was only used in the X900A and the W900A.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what are they using to get the wider color's out of the lcd? Does any one know where i can find some web sites that talk about how they do

• Dynamic Edge LED with X-tended Dynamic Range for 2x brightness range1

• TRILUMINOS on this tv.

I have ordered the screen and can't wait to see it. Now i need to find a better blu ray player. ps3 and xbox one probably not one of the top rated for this.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
what are they using to get the wider color's out of the lcd? Does any one know where i can find some web sites that talk about how they do

• Dynamic Edge LED with X-tended Dynamic Range for 2x brightness range1

• TRILUMINOS on this tv.

I have ordered the screen and can't wait to see it. Now i need to find a better blu ray player. ps3 and xbox one probably not one of the top rated for this.

They use their own in house brand of Triluminous on the w950b but do not use the QD tech. That being said dont expect great black levels or contrast being they used LG panels on the w950b. Yes you get great viewing angles but at the cost of Black levels and Contrast. This is one reason why I passed on it and went with the w900a.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to Read real info on there tech on 950b. seems crazy they would drop q dot for that tech they have and spend more money for less pq. If u think about it they would make more money leaving q dot in there tweak the tv and make more money and not waste a lot. I hate how they all try to word things so amazing but never have real info to back it. I'm going to love my tv never hated any of my sony tv's. Going to get the wow disc and tune it and leave it along. Think im going to get the s5500 blu ray player for this tv. looks amazing.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I would love to Read real info on there tech on 950b. seems crazy they would drop q dot for that tech they have and spend more money for less pq. If u think about it they would make more money leaving q dot in there tweak the tv and make more money and not waste a lot. I hate how they all try to word things so amazing but never have real info to back it. I'm going to love my tv never hated any of my sony tv's. Going to get the wow disc and tune it and leave it along. Think im going to get the s5500 blu ray player for this tv. looks amazing.
As long as you like your w950b thats all that matters.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
You got it for $650... no complains there

I seen W950B, it is still better than a lot but W900A is in its own level, check out amazon reviews.

W900A with QD tech is discontinued.. they dropped it to lower the cost.
There ya go justned, you said it. The w900a IS on its own level and yes Sony dropped the QD tech to lower the price. But the w950b is a good tv and I had a chance to grab one but I didnt like the wedge shaped design and the black levels and contrast ratio were a deal breaker for me. If you watch the w950b at night with all the lights off you will see what I mean but with lights on the tv is ok. It has gotton alot of flak and some of its justified and some not but its not on the same level of the tv it replaced and that is the w900a and that was a mistake on Sony's part because all they had to do was eliminate some of the little flaws of the w900a and take the best of it and package it with the upgraded w950b. But they didnt do that. They took a step backwards and went with a Passive LG panel and the rest is history. According to a Sony rep I talked with sales of the w950b flopped and its hard not to see why. But again its not a bad tv and some may not care about Black levels and contrast ratio. Me? I do and thats why I bought my w900a back in May of 2014 and have no regrets except that I wish Sony would have came out with the w900a in a 65inch set. Again a missed opportunity by Sony but it is what it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts