AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of waiting and researching, I set out to buy a new tv for gaming today! First on my list was the BB exclusive 42" Panny. PQ sucked no matter what I did. Looked around some more, at the other 2 I was thinking about. Couldn't decide, so I went to the place across the tureet.

I get to looking around in there, tell the guys there what I'm looking for, and of course, there were a couple they could not get. So I look around there, and come across these mid priced LCDs that really good PQ for a store feed, and the bottom of them said LG! of course I was puzzled by this cuz I had heard nothing but bad things about LG. So I start playing around with them and really get to liking them!

I'm sold on the one I'm looking at, a 42LH30 to play games on in the bedroom! We go ahead and get it all paid for w/ their premium 5 year warranty. We leave, and are back at best buy, wanted to get some new Blu Rays. Just as I pick up the Xmen set, my wife looks at me and says "I don't think it's fair that you have a bigger tv in the bedroom than we have in the living room. I want a new TV for us.

So we go back over to HHGregg, and she picks out a 47" LH40 and then mentions she wants to get one of the girls a new tv as well. So she picked her out a 19" Toshiba LCD for their room!

So I here I sit after a very long day of shopping, with a new 47" and 42" LG LCD's, and a little Toshiba for my rugrat!

I know there's no price talk aloud, but the best part is, I'm not broke either. I left the house with $2,500.00 in hand, but all 3 tv's with extended warranties, got a new cell phone (motorola droid), and a new HP 311 netbook, and I still have $350 in my pocket!

It has been a very good day!

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18176398

After weeks of waiting and researching, I set out to buy a new tv for gaming today! First on my list was the BB exclusive 42" Panny. PQ sucked no matter what I did. Looked around some more, at the other 2 I was thinking about. Couldn't decide, so I went to the place across the tureet.

I get to looking around in there, tell the guys there what I'm looking for, and of course, there were a couple they could not get. So I look around there, and come across these mid priced LCDs that really good PQ for a store feed, and the bottom of them said LG! of course I was puzzled by this cuz I had heard nothing but bad things about LG. So I start playing around with them and really get to liking them!

I'm sold on the one I'm looking at, a 42LH30 to play games on in the bedroom! We go ahead and get it all paid for w/ their premium 5 year warranty. We leave, and are back at best buy, wanted to get some new Blu Rays. Just as I pick up the Xmen set, my wife looks at me and says "I don't think it's fair that you have a bigger tv in the bedroom than we have in the living room. I want a new TV for us.

So we go back over to HHGregg, and she picks out a 47" LH40 and then mentions she wants to get one of the girls a new tv as well. So she picked her out a 19" Toshiba LCD for their room!

So I here I sit after a very long day of shopping, with a new 47" and 42" LG LCD's, and a little Toshiba for my rugrat!

I know there's no price talk aloud, but the best part is, I'm not broke either. I left the house with $2,500.00 in hand, but all 3 tv's with extended warranties, got a new cell phone (motorola droid), and a new HP 311 netbook, and I still have $350 in my pocket!

Sounds like an awesome day! Congrats. I was just at a friends house tonight and he had the LH40 and the blacks looked grey. So I was like, "what the heck"? Went into the menu and of course it was on vivid. Once I dialed it in with Cinema the picture quality was excellent, good blacks, nice colors. I've heard LG has the best picture controls out of all the major manufacturers.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18176398

Heck since you are buying everyone Tv's, I need one!!!!! LOL

No on a serious note, Congrats.. Everyone will be very happy... Enjoy!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponte55 /forum/post/18176561

Sounds like an awesome day! Congrats. I was just at a friends house tonight and he had the LH40 and the blacks looked grey. So I was like, "what the heck"? Went into the menu and of course it was on vivid. Once I dialed it in with Cinema the picture quality was excellent, good blacks, nice colors. I've heard LG has the best picture controls out of all the major manufacturers.

I'm really impressed with this set. I don't think it's really the "wow factor" either. It's not the best looking set out there for sure, but for what I paid w/ a 5 year no hassle warranty, not going to complain at all.

Calibration out of the box is def. needed. The first time I turned it on, you could have lit the neighborhood with it. Contrast, back light were over 70, and sharpness was 60 something. Just a brief tweak on those made the black levels 100x better. I haven't ran any calibration discs yet, I'll probably do that later today.

I haven't even set the LH30 up yet, but I'm expecting the same from it. Waiting on my stand to be delivered today so I can get it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla /forum/post/18176624

Heck since you are buying everyone Tv's, I need one!!!!! LOL

No on a serious note, Congrats.. Everyone will be very happy... Enjoy!!

Thanks! The wife is still in wow mode after the Star Trek blu ray. Our 2 year old can't take her eyes off of it. She's had me up since 7:30, and I don't think she's blinked once lol!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like an awesome day of shopping!

I was checking out the LG 42LH40 and the 47LH30 and, in the store at least, the 47LH30 looked sharper and brighter. But then again, I'm sure they weren't calibrated correctly, and this is the store feed we're talking about.

Can you just give you opinions of both sets when you get them up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18177557

so this is a brag forum now?

Dude, this guy is nothing compared to the individual who has seen the Second Coming in the form of the Panasonic 50 X 1 plasma. It is a lot of TV for $700 but that's because an awful lot of people want 1080P in a 50 inch set. But, at 10 feet and farther 1080P doesn't make much difference.

People who think they got a real bargain are more likely to ask if they did good, in my experience on these Forums.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18177665

Dude, this guy is nothing compared to the individual who has seen the Second Coming in the form of the Panasonic 50 X 1 plasma. It is a lot of TV for $700 but that's because an awful lot of people want 1080P in a 50 inch set. But, at 10 feet and farther 1080P doesn't make much difference.

People who think they got a real bargain are more likely to ask if they did good, in my experience on these Forums.

Spyboy you are such a troll its not even funny

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18177823

Spyboy you are such a troll its not even funny

frito, I'm not the only one who is tired of your proselytizing about the Panasonic 50 X 1 in every LCD thread you can take off-topic. I'll spare you the names of the others....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh Furious one, congratulations on your most excellent family shopping day, and thank god not everybody's life sucks as much as mine.

There is hope for humanity.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18177888

frito, I'm not the only one who is tired of your proselytizing about the Panasonic 50 X 1 in every LCD thread you can take off-topic. I'll spare you the names of the others....

excuse me but i never posted in this thread and i only mention my plasma in discussions related to Plasma vs LCD

you were completely out of line making that comment in this thread out of the blue for no reason.

oh and I never asked if I did good. I know I did good.

lastly I'm not trying to convert people to buying the same plasma as me, i do recommend people look into panasonic plasmas though esp when they bring up their dislike of motion enhancement on LCD because the rest of you LCD guys will blow off plasma completely never even mentioning why people prefer plasma.

LCD has its place and if someone like the look of motion enhancement then i'm not going to try to tell them to get a plasma its not what they want obviously

·
Super Moderator
21,633 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.