AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old Harman Kardon surround receiver AVR5000, that had the most wonderful,warm sound,especially the midrange. Anyone today making surround receivers that have that glorious,warm sound, or have they all gone the neutral/sterile/cold sound? I have tested now Marantz sr5005, Yamaha rx-v1067 and Rotel rsx-1550. Everyone of those sounds to my ears too neutral and like there is no enough power. My budget is about 1500, I get H/K avr460 to test next week. What do you think about that receiver, is there something special which is good to know, or have you some other models what you can recommend?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I don't know..I mean, I don't think anyone sets out to make their receivers sound cold or warm, or whatever. They set out to make receivers with a flat response over the audio band, and low distortion (well below the number that some people think indicates audible distortion which is 1%.)

They build their amps using conventional class AB topology as far as I know. Not sure what about that would make an amp sound cold or warm.

Some people still think HK sounds warm. And some people will add Marantz to that list. Not sure why this is, but I won't call them liars

I personally would think that your typical receiver amps operated well within it's limitations sound similar. There's evidence that this is true. Perhaps your receiver works better than some others in that it has a solid power supply etc. So maybe it's not all about brand name or amp design/construction.

I guess you could go to some dealers and listen, but speakers and room matter so much, I am never sure what can be learned that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.