AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got another slew of projecotrs in yesterday from various sources. As I was unpacking projectors that were wrapped in cardboard with nary a scratch on them, it occurred to me that I've received projectors wrapped in cellophane strapped to pallets, projectors in cardboard boxes with no foam lining, and an XG stuffed into a crate with no packing, and all arrived fine with no damage.

Why is it then that I can get a custom foam or styro lined crate made up for a projector, and it gets smashed to bits on the way to a customer?

THe more I thought about this, the more choked I got.

I'm sure you other resellers can relate..:(

Rant off!..:)

Curt

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

I have had units arrive smashed in seemingly bulletproof roadie cases because they are not molded to the exact shape of the unit within; this is why we pay over $250 each for correct empty Marquee crates, they work real good!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I think the handlers see the heavy duty or custom case and think it can handle anything so they treat it like a wrecking ball. I have custom made flight cases for work to move computers and these things are solid and they come back in real rough shape. I think the couriers use sledge hammers to move the stuff. I kid you not.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What ever you do, do not put a sticker on it that says: "FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE". It is almost a challenge to some warehouse guys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Back when I was in the Laser Light Show Business, we used hard foam or foam-in-place packiging inside of plywood crates for our large frame ion lasers. (6 foot long glass tube in an 8 foot long resonator - very fragile $30,000 1985 dollars)

The secrets to getting the systems back and forth (from our shop to gigs around the world) were:

1. Have the packaged item held very tightly in place by the foam.

Crates were made from medium quality plywood with 2X2 inside bracing and 1X2 runners outside.

2. Have it clearly labeled as glass and electronics contents.

If you use the shock and orientation indicators, print a little note as to their presence and purpose and adhere it to the crate.

3. Always incorporate handles and slide/fork runners so the poor guys that have to move them have a chance to lift them without killing themselves.

(gorillas are people too) (use casters or wood slide strips where possible)

4. Insure the item for the full amount, use shock and orientation indicator tags on the cases which tattle on the shipping guys when they don't take care. With the indicators on the outside, your customer can make a claim without opening the package.

5. Never use DHL for anything.

6. FEDX and Delta air cargo were good.

Regards,

Barry

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well my recent pet peeve is a little off topic but I just bought a emachine computer system from Circuit City. I order to get out of the store without the extended warranty, the overpriced USB cable, and a surge protector, I had to listen to the worst line of **** I ever heard and sign my name to acknowlege that I listened and understood and accepted the major risk I was taking. But there's a $210 rebate

John

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
John,

I worked for CC for a while. They don't service emachines anymore, so you did the right thing. Also keep in mind that the poor sales guys are pressured severely by CC to sell the warranty, and whatever else they can. Everyone there is constantly rated by numbers, coached, and fired if they don't meet that months goal.

I was a tech there, same BS.

Glad to be on self employed now.....

Marc

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Strange, the local CC's around here never push the extended warrentees, thats one of the reasons I'll actually buy stuff there if I have to. The only time recently they have even mentioned the EW was when I was haggling over a HK AVR525, they threw it in for free...

Best Buy on the other hand, I hate that place, every one I have been in the only thing they were interested in was the EW. I bought a Canon Powershot G2 digi cam there a couple of months ago (needed it fast for a business trip and they were the only local store with one in stock) I refused the EW, and had to tell this to 3 floor workers and then the manager --- I was annoyed as hell...

- Rick

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I too received my Ampro in it's original foam moulded crate, but clearly in shipment it was dropped or whatever and the red lens was literally knocked out.

I was able to reattach it but it one of the focusing screws never did turn up...

·
Registered
39 Posts
my teenage son is a cashier at Best Buy, so he can get stuff and extended warranties at employee pricing - they make a ton of profit on the EW's ...

bruce

Quote:
Originally posted by Krynos

Best Buy on the other hand, I hate that place, every one I have been in the only thing they were interested in was the EW. I bought a Canon Powershot G2 digi cam there a couple of months ago (needed it fast for a business trip and they were the only local store with one in stock) I refused the EW, and had to tell this to 3 floor workers and then the manager --- I was annoyed as hell...

- Rick

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used to work at Best Buy. Extended warranties were about 98 percent profit. Because most people cant keep a recipt long enough. So when their equipment breaks BB wont do anything for you without that reciept when it comes to repair. Although is you raise high hell with a manager they usually cave in in front of customers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.